Author Topic: 4 racks BB ribs is too much for the #1  (Read 45 times)

petrmorse

4 racks BB ribs is too much for the #1
« on: May 04, 2024, 03:25:15 PM »
 So it?s official ? the #1 can?t handle 4 racks on 4 grates. I have done 2 and three racks (cut in half) no problem before. I always do our standard mustard/rub/rest in fridge 5-5.5 hrs no peek and they come out amazing!  This was a fail! 

The internal temp never got beyond 205 after 5.5 hours. They are cooked, and def falling off the bone (not my ideal pref), but they def didn?t produce any bark. I suspect because the moisture inside was too much for the smoke and lack of heat to contend with, and perhaps the bottom rack was too close to the smoke box preventing appropriate circulation?  Your thoughts appreciated. Do I need a rib rack?  And yes, I know I need a #2 or #3 by now, but alas I do not have one yet. For now, help me solve this problem. I am cooking a ton of ribs (and vac sealing and freezing) in advance of a party in 2 weeks. I have 2 racks done from last weekend but these 4 imo are not presentation worthy.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: 4 racks BB ribs is too much for the #1
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 08:59:12 PM »
You are fine just smoking on the standard racks. Nothing wrong with rib racks but if the ribs get 'super tender' they could tear and fall.  Try smoking just 2 at a time till "nearly" done. This will keep them firm for reheating without falling apart. The reheat should finish them off.  For a good bark, try brown sugar.  Also, before sealing, maybe you can cut them into 2 to 4 bone sections for easier handling.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus