Author Topic: Maverick ET-733 issues  (Read 11974 times)

teleskier

Re: Maverick ET-733 issues
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 11:25:47 AM »
Ok, Just spoke with Steve, he said more than likely it is a faulty controller so that and the thermocouple needs to be replaced. He will send me another one but the last thing I should be doing with a smoker that is only 2 weeks old is tearing it apart to replace parts and having to re seal holes for a thermocouple.
SI#2, Maverick dual wireless probes.
Waterfowl guide and married to the best hunting partner a guy could ask for and I don't mean my dog...

Mike from California

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 01:40:42 PM »
I understand all of those things guys and can live with an "average" of the set dial temp as long as the temp swing is within that 30 degree range. I am experiencing where the dial is set at 200 and it heats to 255 indicated by the Maverick and 248 by another thermometer dropped into the smoke hole. The setting is not accurate to get the right "average" . 

I have tried calibrating the dial by the instructions I found on the site, moving in small increments and then its too cool so I set it back to factory location.

My most recent "test, with no meat in smoker, dial set at 200 gave me a low of 189 and a high of 252. That is an average of 220.5   

Doing any type of test in an empty smoker is not recommended. You will for sure see large swings because there is nothing in the smoker to provide a heat sink. Even with your Tri-Tip since it a relatively thin smaller cut of meat your swings will be higher than normal much as would happen with an empty smoker.

I think it is quite possible that there is nothing wrong with your thermocouple or your smoker in general.

I gave up on caring about the temp swings and have had nothing but excellent results with my smoker.

Good luck with however you decide to proceed.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

teleskier

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 06:15:23 PM »
How does a 4 lb tri tip differ from a couple racks of baby back ribs as far affecting the temperature swings? Doesn't that logic follow that with anything but a loaded smoker you will get more swings in temperature?
Waterfowl guide and married to the best hunting partner a guy could ask for and I don't mean my dog...

Mike from California

Barrel99

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 07:18:16 PM »
I think what Greg is saying is that swings are expected and it doesn't matter since the controller is designed to average out to the selected temperature. Like Greg, once I accepted that fact, I measured the temp at the smoke hole and really don't pay much attention to it now. It's more for my comfort to know that it's still heating. It goes up and down but I don't care. Everything comes out great.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 08:00:42 PM »
  My 2 cents, from the FAQ section.

Q: How much variation does the rheostat have?

A: The temperature can sway 30+ degrees either way from the set point. This is caused by heat still being produced by the wood box after the rheostat has been turned off. This is normal in any electric smoker.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 10:02:44 AM »
If you read Mike's first post, the 282 vs. 203 seemed outside what we should ignore and find acceptable.  The discussion of 20 to 30 degree swings is on point if that is really all that's going on.  If one of these smokers was someone's first, I could see the temperature thing being an issue.  However, if a person took a step back and realized how great of Q comes off stick burners and other fuel based smokers, one would have to know that pinpoint temperature control NEVER happens in those smokers.  Exact temperature, and I see it here all the time, is made to be a much bigger deal than it really is.  i.e. debates over cook temps between 225 or 235 are ridiculous, IMO.  So, Mike, in your first post, were you stating that you were set somewhere around 200 and it spiked to 282? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 02:23:32 PM »
If you read Mike's first post, the 282 vs. 203 seemed outside what we should ignore and find acceptable.  The discussion of 20 to 30 degree swings is on point if that is really all that's going on.  If one of these smokers was someone's first, I could see the temperature thing being an issue.  However, if a person took a step back and realized how great of Q comes off stick burners and other fuel based smokers, one would have to know that pinpoint temperature control NEVER happens in those smokers.  Exact temperature, and I see it here all the time, is made to be a much bigger deal than it really is.  i.e. debates over cook temps between 225 or 235 are ridiculous, IMO.  So, Mike, in your first post, were you stating that you were set somewhere around 200 and it spiked to 282? 

+1 Dave nailed it.

I have to think that the spike to 282 was because of a combustion belch. This is the only time I have seen this.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

teleskier

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 05:37:25 PM »
yes and there was no belch. those huge spikes continued.

Mike from California

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 07:29:04 PM »
I have exact temp control with the stock controller and never have "belches". At least I have never seen any....

I add wood without foil, soaking or worry, just weigh it and toss it in the firebox. Then I set the stock controller and walk away. I return later and remove finished smoked meat perfection, doneness determined by either by IT or smoking for a predetermined time.

If you use my method, of not monitoring the box temp or constantly watching the smoke come out you have nothing to fuss over or worry about.

It may be doing 30 degree temp swings and blowing smoke like a steam engine but I don't care. I don't see it and my food is fantastic, so it is logical to assume, my smoker is flawless.

I recommend you stop fussing over the little details. The three important questions in smoking meat are how does the meat look, smell and taste when done. If the answer to those questions is "good" there is no issue.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 07:44:16 PM »
Dave and Brian are absolutely right!  Whether you use the analog stock controller, the Auber, or HeaterMeter, it really all boils-down to "how's the food turn out?"  Some of like the precision control over temp that we get from a PID controller, but it is NOT necessary!  I've smoked plenty in my #1 with the stock controller, with zero problems.

There are also valid points about trying to analyze box temp with such a small amount of meat in the #2.  Yes, it will absolutely effect your readings - whether you think it "logical" or not.  I know, because I've tested it both ways. 

Here's my real point (sorry for taking the long way around):  Stop monitoring box temp, and just smoke something.  If you try to monitor box temps on these things (I did it once, and realized how pointless it was), it will drive you crazy.  Just prep some ribs or a pork butt, set your dial to 225, and smoke them.  When they are done, ask yourself "Do they a.) Look good, and b.) Taste even better than they look?  If both of those are a "yes," there is no problem.  I'd certainly try that first, before tearing into your new smoker to replace the controller!  Just my 2ยข...
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!