Author Topic: Rubs or Sauces .  (Read 6804 times)

OFFSHORE GINGER

Rubs or Sauces .
« on: March 27, 2015, 06:26:02 PM »
Well everyone I am not really sure where this thread  should be considering there is ...one place for sauces and another for rubs, and with that in mind in your opinion is  Jeff Phillips recipes for rubs and sauces really worth the money and how many of you are true believers overall ...........opinions please  . 
[I[I .............

OFFSHORE GINGER

Re: Rubs or Sauces .
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 06:30:08 PM »
Quick mention the bottom line is ..........................should I spend the money on his recipes for rubs & sauces ?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 06:31:51 PM by OFFSHORE GINGER »
[I[I .............

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 06:47:06 PM »
As I've stated before, I'd sell my copies for half price.  I'd actually give them away but I can't remember if I signed some agreement against it. LOL!  I do not use either the rub or the sauce recipe for any of my stuff.  The sauce wasn't bad but I buy off the shelf something that I like better. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 07:05:35 PM »
Dave , to tell you the truth that is the type of information that I am looking for considering I will have to purchase all the spices and other items to come up with a Witches brew that I can already buy off the shelf like you suggested minus the prep time ...............Thank you .
[I[I .............

Barrel99

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 11:43:20 PM »
I have used Jeffs rub for years and like it. I think it's worth the money and would buy it again.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 09:37:54 AM »
Ginger, I will bet you get answers in both the build your own and purchase camps. Welcome to smoking....  :) Personally I am a believer in finding a flavor profile you love and going there. If you purchase though I would look for no MSG or fillers.  8)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

aspenextreme03

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 10:23:37 AM »
I bought Jeff's recipes as well and really like them.  I can see the value down the line with having the actual recipes and the extra kicker for me is his website/news letter that has many quality and well thought out recipes that are easy to read or print out. 
Eric from Marietta, GA
Smokin-It Model 2, Weber Genesis & Blackstone Pizza Oven

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 01:37:27 PM »
First, let me say that I have not purchased his rub/sauce recipe. There are sooooooo many great free ones out there that I just do not see the value in it for me.

That being said, when you buy his recipe you have to look at it as a donation to keep his site up and running. He has a really good site and forum that is very valuable and has helped a lot of new smokers. So, I would encourage anyone who has purchased the recipe to refrain from giving it away or selling it for a discounted price. Instead provide your review/opinion of the recipe and whether you thought it was worth it or not.

I frequent his site once and a while, but not really that much as I spend most of my time on this site that is tailored to my smoker. Now, if Steve came out with a Cookbook or something similar to used to fund this site, I would probably spring for it knowing how valuable this site is to me.

I have a ton of rub recipes that I have purchased and really enjoy. So, I haven't really made any of my own yet. I have my favorite recipe that I order by the five pound bag:
https://www.waltonsinc.com/p-4367-smokehouse-bbq-no-msg.aspx

As far as sauces, I really like the Sweet Baby Rays Original. I have tried his other ones and didn't like them as well. I have also tried Famous Dave's and Hunts/Kraft versions and for me and my family we like the SBR's Original.

This is my 2 cents anyhow.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 01:46:16 PM »
I purchased the recipes from Jeff and I used his rub on just about everything that I smoke.   I have used his sauce a couple of times, but I pretty much just use Sweet Baby Rays now.    I like the rub and would recommend it.   I also like the idea of knowing that I am contributing to Jeff's cost to maintain his web site...I have tried several of his recipes to my delight!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

jbauch357

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 02:09:23 PM »
Once we found J Wilbur hickory smoke sauce we quit looking for a better alternative.  On the rare occasion we're out and have to revert to Rufus Teague or Pendleton or whatever else was buried in the back of the fridge it is a crushing blow.

If you want good heat but still with tons of flavor Secret Aardvark sauce is amazing, their other two sauces are also very very good.

Regarding Jeff's recipe, I'll probably buy it just because I've gotten so many good ideas and info off his site - might as well keep a good resource like that going.
Josh - Western Washington (hell)

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 06:58:23 PM »
First, let me say that I have not purchased his rub/sauce recipe. There are sooooooo many great free ones out there that I just do not see the value in it for me.

That being said, when you buy his recipe you have to look at it as a donation to keep his site up and running. He has a really good site and forum that is very valuable and has helped a lot of new smokers. So, I would encourage anyone who has purchased the recipe to refrain from giving it away or selling it for a discounted price. Instead provide your review/opinion of the recipe and whether you thought it was worth it or not.

I frequent his site once and a while, but not really that much as I spend most of my time on this site that is tailored to my smoker. Now, if Steve came out with a Cookbook or something similar to used to fund this site, I would probably spring for it knowing how valuable this site is to me.

I have a ton of rub recipes that I have purchased and really enjoy. So, I haven't really made any of my own yet. I have my favorite recipe that I order by the five pound bag:
https://www.waltonsinc.com/p-4367-smokehouse-bbq-no-msg.aspx

As far as sauces, I really like the Sweet Baby Rays Original. I have tried his other ones and didn't like them as well. I have also tried Famous Dave's and Hunts/Kraft versions and for me and my family we like the SBR's Original.

This is my 2 cents anyhow.
LOL , and first off your 2 cents is just three cents short of a nickel which in the long run is worth five cents to me ( opinion ) because I am not a big fan of preparing rubs , and to tell you the truth I will never go the X- tra mile considering there are so many ( rubs ) out there  that will fit the bill , with  the smoke house link that you provided being ordered up tomorrow .
[I[I .............

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 07:15:49 PM »
Quick note everyone , I would much rather take the time picking and choosing a rub or sauce that I can purchase of the shelf  opposed to trying to make anything because there are so many products out there that most likely will suit any one person or person's pallet . 
[I[I .............

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 07:37:13 PM »
   I also like the idea of knowing that I am contributing to Jeff's cost to maintain his web site...I have tried several of his recipes to my delight!
Personally I feel that no one person should feel guilty if they are not contributing to maintain his web site ~ due to the fact that he is offering up so many freebies / recipes , at no cost to any one .....hoping that in the long run everyone will purchase his recipes for Rubs & Sauces , Cookbook , etc , etc . I rest my case .........................
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 07:40:44 PM by OFFSHORE GINGER »
[I[I .............

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 08:02:39 PM »
Web sites don't stay alive with guys like us buying an occasional rub recipe.  Next time you are SMF, realize that all those advertisements wrapping the screen are $2K to $3K a pop paid by the advertiser.   
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah