Author Topic: Theory behind resting meat?  (Read 6988 times)

dsskid

Theory behind resting meat?
« on: October 21, 2014, 01:32:42 PM »
I'm having a tough time understanding the theory behind rexting freshing smoked meat.

Why would you want your meat to cool, isn't it best to eat it hot?  I hate cold/cool meat.

Any extra juices coming from the meat during cutting , meat is mopped up after placing it on your fork, prior to putting it in your mouth.
John, from Long Island, NY

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Theory behind resting meat?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 08:04:16 PM »
Good question, John - escaped me for years as a homemade "grill master!" 

Here's basically what happens:  With large cuts of meat (and even thick-cut steaks), the juices in the meat (rendering fat and connective tissue) flow toward the surface of the meat during cooking.  Also, the surface pores of the meat are wide open, allowing that juice to flow freely.  If you remove a brisket, or pork butt (or even a steak) directly from the heat and cut it, that flow continues.  This robs the meat of the juicy tenderness it could have.  While yes, the meat juice on the plate it good to sop, it's even better still inside the meat!

Resting, as we use the term here, does not mean cold or cool meat!  If done properly, you will barely be able to handle it with bare hands when serving!  During the rest, we want to retain the heat, and reverse the flow of juices in the meat.  The surface pores close, and the juice gets re-absorbed into the muscle tissue. 

When you remove a large cut from the smoker, immediately double-wrap in heavy-duty foil.  Then, place a towel in the bottom of a portable cooler, then the meat, then another towel on top.  Close the lid, and let your brisket or butt rest!  The meat can actually stay there for several hours, with barely any temperature loss.  You will see a big difference in the amount of juice on the plate, or cutting board, after the rest, vs. just out of the smoker!  The meat will be more tender, and much more juicy.

This is the "rest" in a nutshell, as I understand it in theory, and practice!  I cover steaks, fresh off the grill, with one layer of foil for 5 minutes before serving.  Still plenty hot, and so much more juicy! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

dsskid

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 07:16:55 AM »
Thank you Tony for taking the time to explain that to me.  I'm going to smoke a 12lb turkey breast this weekend (I hope) and will give it a try.

I know to smoke it to a temp of 160-165, but any idea aproximately how long something that size should take in a #1?

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 08:41:58 PM »
John, I rest pork and beef, but don't think it's as important with poultry.  The reason is that poultry is lean, and seems to not have the same "flow" of fluids as the meat with more fat.  I loosely cover poultry for maybe 10-15 minutes, but not the double-wrap/rest that I do with big cuts of pork or beef.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

dsskid

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 07:23:57 AM »
Ok, thanks for the heads up.

es1025

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 06:00:51 PM »
I like to rest ribs for an hour of so. It makes them taste much better and enhances the rub and smoke flavor.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 10:58:18 PM »
I've started resting ribs, too, thanks to you Ed!  I cover loosely in foil for at least 30 minutes.  Makes them slice better, too!
Tony from NW Arkansas

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 07:37:45 AM »
John...I smoked a 12# turkey in my #2 at 225F and it took about 4 hours.   I would plan on at least 4.5-5 hrs to be safe if you have a planned meal time.  Also, as Divot noted, you can just cover with foil and let the turkey reset for 15-30 minutes or so, and should be fine.  I would pull the turkey when the breast meat reaches 165IT...160 might be a bit too early.   Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

wehill

• Walt
    • Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventure and Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 09:13:27 AM »
I'm the new guy here so take what I might say with that in mind.  However, I have been smoking turkey for close to 40 years and in every kind of smoker possible.  It is normal for me to smoke seven to eight turkey breasts at a time in my off-set.  As I take them out of the smoker I immediately wrap them in double heavy duty foil and then put them in the freezer.  After an hour in the freezer, I will take out one that we will use immediately.  My smoked turkey breast when thawed is so juicy and full of great smoked turkey flavor.  I never have a "dry" smoked turkey breast. 

Walt
http://cwuap.com/gallery-15.htm
Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventures and Photography.
Oklahoma City

Boomer Sooner!

ibbones

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 12:24:36 PM »
Mmmmm, smoked turkey breast sandwiches......
I have never done a bunch of breasts at one time but I sure do like them.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

Donmac

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 03:53:49 PM »
It's ok to rest the meat just don't let the meat loaf... :P
Don from New Hampshire, 3D & #1 Owner

Hulk

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 09:04:39 PM »
I use one of the styrofoam shipping coolers from Omaha Steaks. Old bath towel on the bottom and two on top. Works great and the wife and family don't get pissed that the beer/beach coolers smell like smoke.
Smokin-it #2
Weber Genesis Series Special Addition
Plenty of campfires
Northeast United States