Author Topic: Convert from lump charcoal user  (Read 3946 times)

coachs34

Convert from lump charcoal user
« on: January 13, 2014, 10:39:30 AM »
Greetings all.  I just purchased my #1 and was going to do my first pork (picnic) for now.  I am converting from the charcoal method to the little guy.  I was wondering if anyone had some helpful pointers.  Thanks

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
Re: Convert from lump charcoal user
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 10:02:48 PM »
Most likely you have read a lot of info on this forum by now. I am sure that you will find that this forum is full of great guys willing to help out with whatever information anyone could ever want and then some.  Glad to have you here!
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 10:47:15 PM »
Hey Coach, like Ben said...we're here to help!  By now, there isn't a lot that many of us haven't encountered.  The biggest thing you'll have to overcome, in your transition from charcoal to "lazy Q," is letting go of the "traditional" smoker methods!  All the tending, wrapping, unwrapping, and paying attention to every minute of your cooks, is gone!  These smokers are efficient, and hold moisture well, so the drying effects of the traditional smokers is a thing of the past!  I never foil-wrap any of my cooks now, and the results (bark and tenderness/juicyness) can't be beat!  You'll soon realize why these smokers can't be used in competition!  They're an unfair advantage!  Many happy smokes to you, and hang out here whenever you can!  By the way...we LOVE pictures of your smokes!! ;D

One thing I recommend for pulled pork:  get a bone-in Boston butt shoulder cut instead of a picnic cut.  The Boston is the top part of the front leg, and is excellent for pulled pork.  There's one small "blade" bone that comes out easily after smoking.  The picnic cut is the lower part of the leg.  While very good, it has a lot more fat and connective tissue than the Boston butt, and more bone.  Just a recommendation from a butt fanatic (pork, that is).

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

puddle jumper

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 11:39:39 PM »
Welcome to the Family and congrats on your new smoker,,

With all smokers there is a learning curve but I think you will find with Electric its not as bad as trying to balance heat in a stick burner or charcoal,,, Now you can just concentrate the time on perfecting your cooking,,, spend some time reading what other people have done on here and if something is confusing just ask we are glad to share info and always willing to help...
 8)
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 12:14:14 AM »
DM has it here! I love this smoker for being stupid easy to use. I love the brine for the butt that DM has posted, it is probably the best I ever had. These smokers really need to be a rethink on your part. They don't take much to produce a great smoke, not a lot of wood, just set and forget type thinking.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 05:58:40 AM »
Well said.

Greetings.

Guess the key is take to heart what you read... When folks say limited wood be certain to weigh your wood and use the presided amounts. You can always increase wood on subsequent smokes.

Also, while after a few uses you can truly go with the no peek method but to start it's not the end of the world to check every 2 hours as these units have a quick recovery.

The reason I say this is my very first smoke I ruined the food because I turned my head to these comments. I basically had double the amount of wood, no temp probe, and didn't look and I opened it up to find inedible ribs. This was all my fault no doubt.

I guess ease your way into it... Following the instructions... And if it's the first ti e your smoking a food take a quick peek just don't tell anyone.  :-\
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

coachs34

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 06:12:48 PM »
Thank you all for the encouraging remarks.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 10:34:38 PM »
You're starting out like many of us, Coach!  The journey to perfect Q is half the fun!  Spend some time on each of the boards here, and you'll find many answers to your questions.  Take it one step at a time, and ask about anything you're unsure of.  We're a pretty good bunch of SI owners, and there's lots of experience here.  We're here to help each other!  ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!