Author Topic: first time smoker and my #1 rocked.  (Read 4945 times)

zapdafish

first time smoker and my #1 rocked.
« on: May 09, 2013, 08:46:16 AM »
First time smoking and I made some chicken wings. They came out wonderful. I bought a 5 lb. pack and separated them into two batches to test two off the shelf seasonings. I first put them into a bag and tossed them with oil and spices and let them sit for a few hours in the fridge and then I smoked them.  I used two of the hickory trial dowels at 250 for ~2 hrs they were falling off the bone when I tried to pick them up with tongs. I am so happy. Gonna do 2 packs this weekend  ;D

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: first time smoker and my #1 rocked.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 01:24:14 PM »
Congratulations! Enjoy for years to come. You get better Q at home than in restaurants for and  less money.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 06:15:24 PM »
Congrats, Zapdafish.  Wings are somethings I've done several times so far with results similar to yours ... you might consider giving a whole chicken a shot as well.  I just did a kickass beer can chicken using a can of Abita Purple Haze and a chipotle-raspberry bbq sauce ... trust me, you're just scratching the surface of what the Smokin-Its can do.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

zapdafish

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 10:28:02 AM »
thanks. I plan on doing 2 chicken's next week, been reading up on brines but am probably just going to use the recipe printed on the box of kosher salt I bought. Going to brine one and leave the other one alone to see the differences.