Author Topic: Canadian Bacon in "The Briner Jr."  (Read 19515 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Canadian Bacon in "The Briner Jr."
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2016, 10:27:50 PM »
Oh, and btw, Chris - after it "mellows" for a day or two, in the fridge, it's even better!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2016, 10:44:27 PM »
Here was my version of Turkey Canadian Bacon:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2461.0
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2016, 10:50:13 PM »
Here was my version of Turkey Canadian Bacon:

Thanks. That was the post I was planning to follow for my Turkey CB.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

dibiase

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2016, 09:21:02 AM »
Oh, and btw, Chris - after it "mellows" for a day or two, in the fridge, it's even better!

I resisted the urge and let it sit for a full day and half in the refrigerator before I sliced it and I have to say it exceeded my expectations. 
Chris from Wausau, WI
Smokin It 3D

kona77

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2020, 11:51:05 AM »
 Have been wanting to do Canadian bacon for awhile and just finished up my first smoke..(also recently bought "The Briner)
Started with a 9lb pork loin and used the brine mixture mentioned by DM/Pops..I have seen some posts about the finished bacon being too salty so I did soak the loin in cold water for 2-hours.. Smoked with apple chips for 2 hours at 125 then increased to 225 until the loin hit 150 (4 hours total).. Turned out great with a nice smoke flavor and some sweetness..Actually no hint of salt at all so I may have soaked a bit too long. Love Canadian bacon on breakfast sandwiches..pizza etc.. Will definitely do this again !!!
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2020, 07:40:41 PM »
I love this recipe and have used it several times over the years. I even used it with some Turkey Breasts which turned out AWESOME!

One of my favorite things to do is get a cheese pizza from a place like Papa Murphys or even a Wal-Mart cheese pizza and add my homemade Canadian Bacon and a little more cheese and pineapple for an incredible pizza with a twist. If you are talented enough to make your own dough/pizza, all the better. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Norwester

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2020, 03:42:48 AM »
Canadian bacon is my favorite! I like to keep one or two loins curing at all times. I let mine soak for 3 weeks because it
seems like sugar takes longer to permeate the meat than the salt does. To my taste Pops Brine is a little too salty
using a full cup so I go with a 1/2 cup and its just right for me. And pizza! I use CB plus pulled pork and top it with smoked mozzarella.
I'll have to try curing a turkey breast, sounds good!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 03:58:15 AM by Norwester »
Jeff from central Oregon

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2020, 03:24:50 AM »
I too find Pop's brine to be a little bit salty. I have't made this for a little while now, but I think I will reduce the salt a little bit the next time too.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2020, 03:28:38 AM »
Here was my version of Turkey Canadian Bacon (FYI):
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Norwester

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2020, 01:08:50 AM »
Here was my version of Turkey Canadian Bacon (FYI):
Bookmarked, thanks! I'll give this a try soon. I've got a couple loins curing now and no room in the fridge. Loins are $1.49 at Safeway this week so I won't have any room in the freezer either.
Jeff from central Oregon