Author Topic: Canadian Bacon in "The Briner Jr."  (Read 19511 times)

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
Re: Canadian Bacon in "The Briner Jr."
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 10:41:37 PM »
I bet! I might have to schedule this one in.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

jaybob

• JaredAkers.com
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 03:09:49 PM »
So is this how you get smoked ham? (or what's the difference in Canadian Bacon) I'm confused on how to actually get smoked ham (besides buying it at Gates BBQ)

Although I guess a ham is just actually the leg of a pig right?

Actually I guess it doesn't have to be a ham, just something that tastes like smoked ham. LOL I'm cracking myself up and confusing myself I think.

My wife and I visit a local BBQ place called Gates and absolutely love their smoked Turkey and Ham on bread. The turkey part I can figure out... it's learning how to get the smoked ham part that's confusing me and the guy at the local grocery suggested a Pork Loin, which we smoked today and doesn't really taste the same or pink inside like this pictures (possibly the brine in this CA Bacon thread had something to do with the color?). Sounds like I just need to purchase a cured ham and smoke it I guess.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 03:12:33 PM by jaybob »
Jared from Lee's Summit, MO

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 10:05:17 PM »
So is this how you get smoked ham? (or what's the difference in Canadian Bacon) I'm confused on how to actually get smoked ham (besides buying it at Gates BBQ)

Although I guess a ham is just actually the leg of a pig right?

Actually I guess it doesn't have to be a ham, just something that tastes like smoked ham. LOL I'm cracking myself up and confusing myself I think.

My wife and I visit a local BBQ place called Gates and absolutely love their smoked Turkey and Ham on bread. The turkey part I can figure out... it's learning how to get the smoked ham part that's confusing me and the guy at the local grocery suggested a Pork Loin, which we smoked today and doesn't really taste the same or pink inside like this pictures (possibly the brine in this CA Bacon thread had something to do with the color?). Sounds like I just need to purchase a cured ham and smoke it I guess.

Funny you posted this right now, Jared; I'm actually eating some of this CB right now with melted cheese on it! :P   You have a multi-part question, so let's work our way through it!

First, Canadian bacon is not ham, but it is cured pork, so the taste is similar.  You're right - the brine is the key to the pink color.  The "curing salt #1" in the brine produces that.  It is sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite that cures the meat.  Curing is a form of preservative, but is a natural preservative (folks been using this for a long time).  Cured, smoked meat will last much longer than meat that has only been smoked.

Yes, ham is actually made from the upper portion of Porky's back leg (not to be confused with the pork "butt," which is actually the upper shoulder of the front leg...go figure).  This Canadian bacon is made from the pork loin, which runs along the back of the hog.  The loin used to be a highly-desirable cut among the wealthy way back when; ever heard the expression "living high on the hog?"  The upper cuts meant you had money.

Next, a smoked pork loin is mighty tasty, and makes some of the best pork sammies I've ever had, but does not look or taste like ham until it's cured.  Follow the cure instructions above - it's really easy. 

I would really like to produce a ham, from raw hind quarter to smoked goodness, but this is a very long and complex process.  Still researching, and hopefully will tackle one day.  Pork loin CB is a quick fix for homemade "ham-like" meat!

Next time, I think I'll cut the powdered garlic in half, and possibly add a little more salt to the brine.  This is very good, but I think I can tweak it a little for my taste.

Hope this helps! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 07:21:35 PM »
tony
What is cure #1?

I want to give CB a try but don't know what the cure is?
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 07:24:41 PM »
Ed, it's Instacure #1, also called Prague powder #1.  Essentially, it's pink salt (so you don't mistake it for regular salt) and sodium nitrite.  #1 is used for wet cures like this, and cure #2 is used for dry curing (it also contains sodium nitrates).  I get mine from Amazon - just search for it.  It's cheap, and a little goes a long way.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 10:39:44 PM »
Pretty much any local butcher shop will carry it and sell it to you for dirt cheap. That is where I get mine from. That way I buy in small amounts as a little goes a long way.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

shomesmoke

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 09:23:39 PM »
Glad to see this post is still alive, I have 2 loins in the brine now, 7 days to go! We cant seem to have enough of this stuff.
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 09:48:08 PM »
Yep, good stuff, Mark!  Glad you like it!  I think I'll get a loin in the brine this week - been too long!
Tony from NW Arkansas

es1025

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 02:13:49 PM »
Tony
if I brine only one loin how long should I brine for?
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 07:41:43 PM »
Same time, Ed.  Whether you cut a 9 lb long loin in 1/2, or start with a 4 or 5 lb loin, it's going to absorb at the same rate.  I get a big one and cut it in quarters.  If you start with a smaller one, cut it in half.  The smaller chunks take the brine well, and increase the surface area for the smoke (in my opinion).  Plus, the smaller chunks look cool, and are easier to use and store.
Tony from NW Arkansas

dibiase

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2016, 12:23:11 PM »
After reading through this post I had to try it.  I just finished the smoke after the 12 day cure and I thought the results were fantastic.  I smoked with sugar maple.
Chris from Wausau, WI
Smokin It 3D

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2016, 08:45:21 PM »
Looks great Chris! I still need to make Canadian Bacon. Up next is cured/smoked turkey breast (Canadian Bacon style). Sliced super thin for sandwiches. Similar to deli smoked turkey...only better of course.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2016, 09:23:58 PM »
Nice job, Chris!  I haven't smoked any CB in awhile, so I definitely need to!  This is a cold-weather smoke, for me (don't ask me why, it just is).  Soon!
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2016, 10:18:12 PM »
Looks great Chris! I still need to make Canadian Bacon. Up next is cured/smoked turkey breast (Canadian Bacon style). Sliced super thin for sandwiches. Similar to deli smoked turkey...only better of course.

I made Turkey Canadian Bacon and it turned out awesome!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2016, 10:26:41 PM »
I've never tried turkey CB, Gregg!  Guess that's one to add to the list! :-\
Tony from NW Arkansas