Author Topic: Getting Ready to use the Model#2  (Read 1723 times)

MJ41

Getting Ready to use the Model#2
« on: September 17, 2020, 12:15:11 PM »
Hey there!  Mike from the Hudson Valley NY checking in!   Getting ready to do my 1st smoke ever tomorrow after seasoning the Model 2 (Baby back ribs!!)  Had a few questions, not sure if i should post here on this intro or the #2 section, but here it goes:

1.)  I do not have a wireless temp thermometer-  Any quick recommendations and should i do 1st cook without it?
2.)  All my friends do a 3-2-1 method for ribs, but reading the lazy Q pdf, it doesn't recommend to open the smoker once started....
3.)  Going to do 2 racks of ribs, placement of racks and temp setting?
4.) I am planning on building an outdoor kitchen, in which this will roll right under the patio/granite countertop.  I'd like to use the smoker as almost a built in appliance, how much clearance should i account for with smoke exhaust etc, or is it preferred to pull the unit out when operating?

Thanks in advance!!
Mike
Hudson Valley NY
Model #2

Lonzinomaker

Re: Getting Ready to use the Model#2
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 12:59:52 PM »
I don't use a thermometer for ribs.  Just apply rub, put 3-4 oz of apple, cherry or hickory (or combination of) in wood box, turn smoker on to 225-250 and at 4.5 hours check for doneness. If a little dry, will wrap in foil after basting with butter, brown sugar, honey and a little apple cider vinegar. Then recheck in 30-45 min and they usually are done. I try to place the ribs in the middle racks.
I can recommend the Thermoworks Smoke thermometer or one of the Inkbird IBT bluetooth thermometers.
I would also recommend you make the outdoor space so you can put the smoker on counter. It can be loaded and used when at ground level, but is much easier when at eye level.  I have found that some wide filing cabinets repurpose to stands with wheels very well.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

MJ41

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 02:37:18 PM »
Hey thanks for helping me.  Ready to rumble with the rib prep tonight, thanks for the suggestions as well on the probes, went with the Inkbird set up.   Thanks for the heads up on the counter suggestion, i'll have to see if I have the counter space, was kind of hoping to use the counter/patio walls to block wind etc, I live in an extremely windy area (top of a mountain ridge in NY) and the winter seems to drive a constant 20-30 mph wind....

Appreciate the help!!
Mike
Hudson Valley NY
Model #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 02:59:12 PM »
 X2 on what Dave said. I do 225 most of the time but have done runs at 235.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

MJ41

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 03:04:42 PM »
excellent, question on the liquid.  Im a big PBR fan, thoughts on using 1/2 a beer for the liquid (or how much liquid should i use)?  I was just going to cut the can in half and place on the bottom, thoughts or should i just get a small pan ( i think i have a new one from my Weber used to catch grease....
Mike
Hudson Valley NY
Model #2

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 03:58:07 PM »
I don't put any liquid in the smoker while smoking even when doing a 10 hour smoke for a pork butt. Won't hurt if you do put a water pan in though. I did the first few times I smoked, but I read several posts that said it isn't needed and now don't.
Of course if you are using the liquid for internal moistening, then I suggest some IPA.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

smokeasaurus

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 05:56:34 PM »
My #2 is arriving Monday and this is all great information.

(I used to have a #3)

Special thanks to Old Dave for letting me burn his ear with questions
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 11:56:41 AM »
All good advice here!   I too have the Thermoworks SMOKE and I love it.

So how were the ribs?????
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 02:54:39 PM »
excellent, question on the liquid.  Im a big PBR fan, thoughts on using 1/2 a beer for the liquid (or how much liquid should i use)?  I was just going to cut the can in half and place on the bottom, thoughts or should i just get a small pan ( i think i have a new one from my Weber used to catch grease....
I use cheap disposable mini-loaf pans when I feel the need to add moisture to a smoke. I ALWAYS feel the need to have a PBR when I smoke.  All kidding aside, I don't know what would happen with the paint/ink on the can that close to the heating element as the can gets hot.  Would it outgas/smoke and be toxic?  Sour the food?  I just don't know.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

MJ41

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 04:08:00 PM »
Ribs came out really good, i went the full 5 1/4 hours and could have adjusted back to about 4:30... but such is life as a first timer. My wife bought a bunch of country spare ribs (not in racks, they were packed in shrink wrap in small sections) and I put them with the full racks.  They were bigger but dried out due to their relative small size.   Not sure what to do with the rest of those packs, perhaps go for 4 hours?   

Just bought a 8.5lb Butt and ready to brine and smoke for the weekend.   Thanks for all the advice and looking forward to wings (im a Buffalo guy) as well as doing a practice run or two w Turkey (spatchcocked?).....

Take care!
Mike
Hudson Valley NY
Model #2

Durangosmoker

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 04:44:49 PM »
Hey Mike,
Welcome. Sorry it's belated, but I just saw this. Where in the Hudson Valley are you? I'm in central Dutchess County, and also on a ridge, so I understand your comments about winter winds. Finally moved my set-up to a more sheltered side of the house.  These smokers laugh at winter winds, though, and will work in as cold weather as you can stand! They may take a bit longer to warm up, but it is not excessively long. And a remote thermometer means you don't have to go out to check the temperatures, either.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

smokeasaurus

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 08:42:44 PM »
I just got this last week and love it:

https://www.thermoworks.com/ChefAlarm
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

MJ41

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2020, 09:44:38 AM »
Hey Mike,
Welcome. Sorry it's belated, but I just saw this. Where in the Hudson Valley are you? I'm in central Dutchess County, and also on a ridge, so I understand your comments about winter winds. Finally moved my set-up to a more sheltered side of the house.  These smokers laugh at winter winds, though, and will work in as cold weather as you can stand! They may take a bit longer to warm up, but it is not excessively long. And a remote thermometer means you don't have to go out to check the temperatures, either.
Hey Eric, I live just on the other side of the river than you, in Newburgh!   Just did my first shoulder last night, put it in around 9pm, and it hit an aggressive stall at around 185, (at 3am) which was a bit surprising, I have it at 192 right now, and i turned the heat from 225 down to about 175 to keep it warm.  About to take off and foil for a couple of hours to eat for lunch.  Should i take out and wrap or just leave in and keep the temp way low???  Thanks!
Mike
Hudson Valley NY
Model #2