Author Topic: Model 2D vs. 2Dwifi  (Read 2587 times)

bogeyjim

Model 2D vs. 2Dwifi
« on: April 22, 2019, 05:31:37 PM »
Just ordered a model 2 for my nephew and fiancĂ© as an engagement/housewarming gift.  Now I'm thinking about one for myself.  I'm a bit confused on the model 2D vs. 2D wifi.  It looks like the 2D comes with a single meat probe, and I assume an internal probe to regulate the temperature.  The wifi model shows what appear to be two meat probes in a photo, and also notes a protected interior probe for temp control.  Is this correct, or is one of those probes in the photo actually for regulating the temp?
Jim in The Granite State

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Model 2D vs. 2Dwifi
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 07:47:03 PM »
The WiFi comes with a permanently mounted internal probe that measures the box temperature and two external probes.  Only the first of the external probes is used to control the unit by food temp.  The second external probe is strictly for reporting. 

I couldn't recommend the D models in good conscience now that the Wifi models exist.  I honestly feel Steve should sell out of the D models and remove them from the inventory permanently.

I don't actually know about the D model setup for probes, but I suspect it's one permanent probe internally for box temp and one external probe for food temp.

I would pose to you that the PID isn't needed for a lot of (most) people.  If that is the case for you, consider the #3 instead of the 2DW.  It's actually less expensive and that extra depth is really nice.  If you really want the PID then go with the Wifi.  You can search and find a post where I'm pretty critical of the Wifi software, but it is still much easier to manage the smoker from your phone than from the PID itself.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

bogeyjim

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 08:11:41 PM »
Thanks for the input.
Jim in The Granite State

pappabear

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 09:14:23 PM »
Save yourself a lot of grief and headaches and stick with the analog smoker. K.I.S.S.
Gary
Acme Pa
USAF Vet
Retired coal miner

bogeyjim

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 08:21:12 AM »
That's funny, right after I responded to Larry last night I thought "maybe I should just stick to the KISS principal".
Jim in The Granite State

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 10:23:17 AM »
I was considering buying a new smoker a couple of years ago. Debated between the #2. #2d, #3 and #3d. I decided that the cost and size of the #3 was the best value for me. 
I have since picked up a used Smokin Tex 1400 that is equal in size to the Smokin-It #2.  I am much happier with the extra volume of the #3 size. 
I also do not miss the PID or WiFi as I use a Thermoworks Smoke (wireless thermometer).  The Smoke is portable so I can use it on my pellet grill and MES or any other appliance, not just the #3. 
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

Lipster

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 01:43:12 PM »
I have two homes, and have a digital (non-wifi) and an analog.
Results are the same at the end of the smoke.

You know, down south, you find folks with wood fired BBQ's on church parking lots and empty lots.
Their setups are very simple, wood fired, no fancy controllers (I don't think), and their product is amazing.  I bet they have temperature swings, but it doesn't matter.  They pump out fantastic ribs and brisket.  Sorta like buying new golf clubs to improve your game.  Never seems to matter. 
K.I.S.S.
YMMV however...

Rksiu

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 05:06:01 PM »
I am on the fence on which smoker to get.
#2 or 2D.

Does it really matter that much?

Does the 2D model makes it easier to use the smoker? 

Thanks for your help.

rs

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 06:00:27 PM »
Does the 2D model makes it easier to use the smoker? 

Quite the opposite...  in 99%+ of the time it makes it more complicated.  There's little to go wrong or do wrong with a good old fashioned rheostat analog smoker.  You put stuff in, set the temp, and walk away.  With the digital you have to program it which means a lot of button pushing or phone fiddling.  If a probe goes wonky then your smoke might, too.

I started with the #2 and now use a 3D-Wifi.  If I were starting out with nothing, I would get the #3 (analog).  The extra depth is super nice.  The digital controller is just more to do and more that can break.

The only people who 'need' the digital are those with a bonafide need for really precise temperature control.  I throw bonafide in there because it's my hypothesis that at least half of the folks who think they need that kind of control really don't.  :)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...