Author Topic: Meat slicer opinions  (Read 15454 times)

GeeBee

Meat slicer opinions
« on: June 03, 2014, 09:06:56 AM »
I'm toying with the idea of buying a meat slicer. I find very little here about them, other than passing mentions. Those that have them, what do you recommend? I know nothing about slicers.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Meat slicer opinions
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 09:50:02 AM »
I have a cheap one that I bought at Menards probably 6 years ago for $59. It works find for me, but I am sure I would like some of the features on more expensive models.

It all depends on what you are going to do with it.

My main uses are to slice roasts for jerky and slice bacon. If I had a complaint, it is that it is a little too small. The maximum size (width) of a roast/bacon that I can slice is about 6-7 inches.

Other than that, my cheapo slicer has more than paid for itself over the years and I have no intentions of upgrading until/if this one dies.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 06:24:08 PM »
Hey Gary, I don't have a slicer (yet) however I am also in the market for a slicer. I purchased the cheaper slicer which worked for some softer meats, but I ended up returning it for a number of reasons.

My father has one of the larger 10" blade slicer which I used a few times and has more power. Personally, I would go for the bigger unit which you can get for the $200 - $300 range for the following reasons:
- larger blade and tray to accommodate larger cuts of meat
- more horsepower to accommodate harder or tougher cuts of meat
- better build quality, usually all metal units, longer life expectancy
- easier to clean
- I once tried to slice prosciutto and the cheaper unit couldn't cut it at all, the large unit easily sliced through it.

There are some cons such as a heavier and larger unit which takes more room to store and also the cost is a bit more. But at the end of the day, everyone's needs are different, therefore you have to base your purchase based on your needs and budget.  Good luck and happy shopping.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 08:50:54 PM »
I have a Browning 8.7" slicer I got on sale at Academy Sports & Outdoor.  It was a clearance deal, so I only gave about $90 for it.  It has a 180 watt motor, and is powerful.  Plus, the blade is hollow-ground and very heavy.  I'm happy with it, but can't seem to find it anymore!

I think this was one of those Browning licensee products, that is probably re-branded to something else now.  I noticed The Sausage Maker has a 8.7" slicer that is amazingly similar, other than theirs is red.  Hope I don't ever have to contact support on this "good deal!"
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

GeeBee

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 09:07:14 AM »
Wow Tony! That's the kind of deal I'm looking for. Right now I'm looking to slice roasts into jerky, but in the future, I may want to do paper thin slices of meat. I'm looking to the future and doing some of the Umai Charcuterie stuff. It's clear a bigger blade and more horsepower is the way to go (what else is new), I'm looking for recommendations on brands, etc. from those that are using them.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 09:05:05 PM »
Check out the Sausage Maker, Gary.  I think theirs was about $99.  I'd love to have a Hobart, or something commercial, but big $$$ - geez!  I check Ebay often for stuff like this used.  That might be an idea, too!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 10:15:26 PM »
I have the Chef's Choice 615.
I bought it after reading dozens and dozen of reviews and watching some videos on YouTube.
Highly recommended!!!!
I got it for $120 and 'free' shipping from Bed, Bath and Beyond, with their ubiquitous 20% off coupon.

http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-Premium-Electric-Slicer/dp/B0058VCYWS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSsBJiGrPfY

~Martin

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 10:23:45 PM »
Nice looking unit there, Martin!  It's probably a better choice than what I got, just from a support standpoint. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 10:28:52 PM »
Yeah, not bad for the money....there's more metal to it than many and I needed a slicer that wasn't too big because my kitchen is super small.
I also wanted the smooth blade option for super thin slicing.

http://www.amazon.com/Chef%60s-Choice-Non-serrated-Blade-Slicer/dp/B000X1EOTO/ref=cm_wl_huc_item
~Martin

bigfoot21075

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 10:50:50 AM »
I had stiff criteria for a slicer, there is a hole in the wall an hour from me that has the SINGLE BEST SANDWICH I have EVER HAD ANYWHERE. It is a true Baltimore Pit Beef Sandwich and it is AMAZING! The key is super rare, piping hot seasoned top round roast beef that is sliced literally paper thin piled in a HUGE stack, topped with thin sliced red onion, Tiger Sauce and dipped in fresh hot Au Jus. OMG it is a religious experience for 8 bucks!

Most cheap slicers will not slice super thin, tender HOT roast beef. This was my ONLY criteria, that led me to my Berkel 827A Slicer. This thing is good enough for a small deli and was worth EVERY penny. I can truly duplicate this amazing experience at howe now.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/31/1424408/restaurant/Baltimore/Windsor-Mill-Gwynn-Oak/Pioneer-Pit-Beef-Windsor-Mill

Again - YUMM-O!
Large Big Green Egg, Natural Gas Weber, Weber Silver Kettle,  Roundboy Wood Fired  Pizza Oven, Smokinit #3

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 01:51:50 PM »
I have a 1942 Hobart 210 that can shave meat so thin it is translucent. I am to lazy to go to the garage and take a picture of it but this link is for a Hobart 110, nearly identical to mine.

http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?6038-1939-Model-110-Hobart-Slicer-Restoration

Next time I'm in the garage I will take a picture and modify this post.

I paid fifty bucks for the slicer and spent about six hours dissembling, degrease the gunk off and reassemble it. Slices like a new machine now.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 01:53:57 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

bigfoot21075

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 02:05:18 PM »
Nice slicer! You reminded me I left out the most important part of my post. My slicer is something like 1200 bucks new, I got it off of Craigslist or 200 from a deli in Jessup, MD going out of business. An hour of cleaning later I have a near new condition commercial slicer!

I have a 1942 Hobart 210 that can shave meat so thin it is translucent. I am to lazy to go to the garage and take a picture of it but this link is for a Hobart 110, nearly identical to mine.

http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?6038-1939-Model-110-Hobart-Slicer-Restoration

Next time I'm in the garage I will take a picture and modify this post.

I paid fifty bucks for the slicer and spent about six hours dissembling, degrease the gunk off and reassemble it. Slices like a new machine now.

Large Big Green Egg, Natural Gas Weber, Weber Silver Kettle,  Roundboy Wood Fired  Pizza Oven, Smokinit #3

Walt

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 01:29:55 AM »
Picked up this Chef's Choice International 645 a few weeks ago.  Very compact & effective. I have been very pleased so far.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 04:40:09 PM »
Looks like a good one, Walt!
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 11:55:34 AM »
I am currently looking at two Berkel slicers on craiglist. One is a 10 inch blade and the other is 12 inch blade. The 825e slicer is a little too much, but may make them an offer. These are both all metal slicers. The 827e is at a 3 hour drive from me, I did make them an offer but have not heard back. And the other is in town. I ended up getting a Berkel 823E-Plus 9 inch slicer from web restaurant. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/berkel-823e-plus-9-manual-gravity-feed-meat-slicer-1-4-hp/165823E.html
It was $612 but with care should last forever, it is all metal and large motor.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 03:16:05 PM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri