Author Topic: My first chicken wings on the little guy!  (Read 2048 times)

Sirsmokesalot

My first chicken wings on the little guy!
« on: February 16, 2019, 07:18:19 PM »
My first attempt at chicken wings was a big success!! Here’s what I did.

Got pack of whole chicken wings and a QT of buttermilk opened the pack and put the wings in a Tupperware tub with the buttermilk salt and pepper. Let that sit over night. Dinner was at 6:30-7 so I took the wings out of the milk and patted dry and put on a baking sheet around 2pm. I got McCormicks sweet smoky rub and their mesquite rub and a little bit of onion powder and rubbed both sides of the wings and put in the fridge for couple hours. I tinfolded the smoker and used about 1.2oz of hickory and in then went at 235 for about 2 hrs maybe like 1-3/4. Pulled them and probed with digital thermometer and they were at 170 good to go. I melted some butter and brushed  it on both sides of the wings and they went into the oven for about 15 mins at 425. I also turned the oven off and turned the broiler on high for a couple mins. Took them out and sauced them with some sweet baby rays and BAM awesome wings. The skin was still very slightly rubbery think it could’ve used and additional couple mins under the broiler. But overall I’m very happy.
Jeff from Philadelphia, s1 owner and BBQ lover

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
Re: My first chicken wings on the little guy!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 08:45:23 AM »
Those look great! I have a batch in brine right now to go into #3 a little latter today. Hope mine come out looking as good as yours.
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!

Sirsmokesalot

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 09:23:02 AM »
Thanks azbo I was pretty happy with the results as well! I’m sure yours will be just as good if not better!

Jimeo

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 11:26:39 AM »
Those look great, Jeff!  Definitely my favorite last minute smoke.
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

Sirsmokesalot

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 07:58:31 PM »
Hey thanks Jim it was my first definitely not my last that’s for sure!!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 09:02:14 PM by Sirsmokesalot »