Author Topic: Hi from Miami  (Read 2081 times)

pelallito

Hi from Miami
« on: February 15, 2019, 05:06:58 PM »
Hello, I've been reading for a while. Trying to decide between a #1 or a #2.
I have an electric stainless bullet smoker that I have never been happy with.
Any and all advice would be welcomed.
Fred from MIAMI, FL. Owner of a #1.

Durangosmoker

Re: Hi from Miami
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 05:56:10 PM »
Hi, and welcome. As an owner of both a #1 and a #2, I can definitively say that both are great! That said, the general consensus here is to buy the biggest that your budget will allow, on the theory that you can always smoke a single pork chop in a #4, but you can't smoke 4 turkeys in a #1. For me, the #1 is fine for at my cabin, but I sometimes wish I had gotten a #3 for my main house. Good luck.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 07:04:04 PM »
Hello, I've been reading for a while. Trying to decide between a #1 or a #2.
Any and all advice would be welcomed.

I got the #2 because I could afford it and could imagine doing an occasional larger smoke even if the #1 would work 95% of the time.  I'm very, very happy with that decision and that seems to be the general wisdom here...  buy the largest one you can afford that otherwise meets your space and use requirements.

I don't even sort of feel that the #2 is a waste of space for me...  I fill it with turkey, briskets, butts, nuts, and more.  Even though I could typically fit these in the #1, I think it would require a lot more effort in most cases.  The extra room in the #2 makes it easy.  The only time I've wanted to go with the #3 is when I do ribs since it wouldn't require cutting them to make them fit.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 07:15:53 PM »
Welcome Fred from SE Arizona. Study the smoker interior dimensions carefully and choose wisely.  This link might help without having to toggle between pages:

https://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/SmokerCompare1.pdf
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

MC1960

• Lover of great pork ribs
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 02:56:25 PM »
Welcome from Louisiana, I too pondered the #1 verses #2, decided on the #2 and am very happy with it. Mark
Mark from the Republic of West Florida, later South East Louisiana (the upper toe of the boot)
Smokin-it #2

pelallito

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 03:22:40 PM »
My apologies to all of you that gave me help and good advice. While I came back to the forum I rarely logged in and didn’t come back to the introductory section. I didn’t realize/remember that I had never thanked you for your help.
So THANK you very much.  🤪

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 05:45:01 PM »
 No worries.  There have been a lot of serious and sometimes violent activities going on to distract us from more pleasant endeavors.  Did you get a new smoker?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

pelallito

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 06:38:16 PM »
Hi Sarge,
 Yes I did get the number 1 and it arrived on 9/14. I seasoned it and on the 15th smoked salmon. I did everything wrong- rushed the rub, etc and it still
was great. I’m doing a Boston butt tomorrow. It’s a 6 pounder but it was the one my wife was able to find. I used DM brine recipe. I’ll put it in at 7 am.
Hope it works out well.

barelfly

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 08:21:31 PM »
Pelallito,

Welcome and congrats!

What time are you planning on eating? I don’t think that is enough time if you are planning a 5pm or so dinner. Small pork butts seem to take forever, 2 hours per pound some times.

Just something to consider. They hold well Double wrapped in foil, then wrapped in a beach towel and kept in an ice chest for 2-4 hours.

Have fun with the cook though!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 10:10:47 PM »
Hi Sarge,
 Yes I did get the number 1 and it arrived on 9/14. I seasoned it and on the 15th smoked salmon. I did everything wrong- rushed the rub, etc and it still
was great. I’m doing a Boston butt tomorrow. It’s a 6 pounder but it was the one my wife was able to find. I used DM brine recipe. I’ll put it in at 7 am.
Hope it works out well.

Congrats on the #1.  I am sure the butt will be fine.  They are sort of forgiving.  And tasty.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

coyote

• SI2
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2020, 09:50:17 AM »
Welcome from Ala. you will love your #1 ,
HAPPY SMOKIN,
ROLL TIDE,!

StuInTexas

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 01:14:52 PM »
Welcome Fred from SE Arizona. Study the smoker interior dimensions carefully and choose wisely.  This link might help without having to toggle between pages:

https://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/SmokerCompare1.pdf

Are the interior dimensions the total space available for the racks or does it include the area around the smoke/wood box that can't be used for smoking?

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 02:40:28 PM »
Are the interior dimensions the total space available for the racks or does it include the area around the smoke/wood box that can't be used for smoking?

It's the total interior dimensions and not just the 'usable' space.  For instance, the #1 at the top of the list is 16" interior and 20 3/8" exterior.  The wheels are 3". That leaves 1 3/8" for the thickness of the box + the height of the rheostat knob.  (I also verified my statement by measuring the internal height of my 3DW which came out to 20".)

------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...