Author Topic: Can u cook ribs over 2 separate days?  (Read 1858 times)

Drayken

Can u cook ribs over 2 separate days?
« on: February 08, 2019, 06:31:07 PM »
Just got my new smoker. My son is coming over for a bday dinner, for ribs, but I work 12 hrs, and won't be home till around 2-3pm. So it would be a really late dinner! I was planning to try the 3-2-1. Could I smoke them the day before, at 225, to like 165 or 170, then wrap in foil, refrigerate. Then day of, throw in smoker, wrapped, and heat (what temp) to desired temp or doneness?

Any suggestions, times, temps, would be appreciated. This would also be nice, so I could pre-smoke ribs, then give to friends or family.
CJ. 3D wifi.

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
Re: Can u cook ribs over 2 separate days?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 09:58:10 AM »
I have done this before, I just cooked until they were finished. Let them cool and then I cut them into portion size servings. Then when we were ready to use them (in our case a couple days) we put them in a cake sheet pan, brushed a little sauce on them and reheated them in the oven the just get them hot.
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!

Limey

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 07:37:42 PM »
I too smoke them until they are done but then let them cool and vacuum pack and freeze them. Reheating is done via sous vide.  Quality is excellent and I always have a quick and easy meal available if friends turn up.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Walt

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 01:24:35 PM »
I use the same method Limey uses. My wife loves dropping a bad of ribs in the water bath for a quick easy meal.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 04:18:42 PM »
The posts here are already pointing you in the right direction.

I just wanted to reiterate what they are saying.

I have never done this, but I have a feeling that stopping midway through the process and restarting up "could" cause negative results.

I have has such good luck on reheating ribs in my crock pot with a little apple juice on the bottom that I pretty much always cook more ribs than I want just because they reheat so well. Actually they sometimes taste a little better as the smoke flavor can sometimes equalize and be more pleasing after a cool and reheat. This works for pork shoulder as well.

Good luck with your smoke and your party!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Drayken

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 05:06:06 AM »
Update for anyone interested. I've done ribs now, two different ways. One, for about 6.5 hrs straight @ 225, with water pan. Turned out pretty good, but we like slightly more tender. This time, I did 3-2-1 @ 225, no water pan. I then cut into 3 rib sections, wrapped in foil, then reheated next day in oven. (300 degrees, for about 40 min, till they hit 160 in temp) these were a little dryer, which was surprising, yet not surprising. Should have been more tender and juicy from 3-2-1, but could have lost it all when reheating.

I am keeping a log of my cooks. The 3-2-1 is a big hassle. I plan to try 250 temp straight, then I see alot of people say 275 for 4 hrs, straight. I'll see how those two temps go, and if not happy, then revisit the 3-2-1, and see if it was the reheating that dried them out a little.

Top shelf had extra layer of dry rub.
CJ. 3D wifi.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 10:09:09 AM »
Ribs look good to me.  Nice pull back of the meat.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Drayken

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 02:35:24 PM »
Sarge, they were good, similar to what you'd get when eating out. Probably what most would want. We're just more on the side of "almost" fall off the bone. Prolly just need to cook them a little longer, to bring up internal temp up. Lovin the smoker though.
CJ. 3D wifi.