Author Topic: Protecting the PID from weather  (Read 1742 times)

Metrakay

Protecting the PID from weather
« on: December 29, 2018, 01:51:12 PM »
I’ve read that people are putting things over their PIDs to protect the electronics from rain.

It’s been cold and rainy, and while it isn’t raining today (yet), it looks likely.

Is a Pyrex loaf pan sufficient protection? It fits perfectly and I can still see everything. Image attached.  Also, image of disposable hotel pan lid for foiling interior bottom — is that okay?

Thanks, I appreciate all advice. I want to get this thing seasoned so I can use it!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 02:02:19 PM by Metrakay »
MetraKay
SE Oklahoma
Official Taste Tester: Mercy Doberman

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Protecting the PID from weather
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 10:11:37 PM »
I am guessing you will be ok with the loaf pan unless it traps a loy of heat which might shorten the life-span of the controller.  It is water resistant so I would only cover it if absolutely necessary.  I would be more inclined to use something like Stretch-Tite or Saran Wrap.  As for the pan lid, it should work.  Most of us use heavy foil so that the entire floor area is covered with a small piece covering the lid of the wood box.  Makes clean-up easier.  Just make sure you punch a hole for drainage.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Metrakay

Re: Protecting the PID from weather
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 12:00:47 AM »
Thanks, I found the loaf pan worked well for seasoning, but about 1-2” too narrow to accommodate the waterproof probes.  There was plenty of air flow for it where the loaf pan hung over the back. I’ll have to wait until I find something that will protect it with probes in, or wait until I have 24 hrs with no rain threatened.

The foil lid had a hole, but it was covered up in the picture by the heating element.

The app worked great, so my concern about seeing through the cover was unnecessary.  Once I have it turned on, I can use the phone to control it and see what’s happening.  I’ll keep my eyes out for something on hand that will work. 

Thank you so much for responding!

MetraKay
SE Oklahoma
Official Taste Tester: Mercy Doberman