Author Topic: Auber at low temp - should it work  (Read 1363 times)

iamimdoc

Auber at low temp - should it work
« on: August 17, 2022, 06:40:13 AM »
I tried a new to me technique. Re ribs. Cooked the ribs and then wrapped in foil and kept at 150 for many hours. Makes having food ready at a desired time a breeze. Worked well.

I set the Auber temp to 150 as I just wanted to use the smoker as a low temp warming oven. Smoker in very hot Texas weather.  Could not keep temp from rising however.  Not desirable as I wanted no more cooking to take place

Final solution was to crack the smoker door an inch and turn down the analogue controller on smoker. Temp stable x 6 hours at 150.  Served food at time I wanted.

*SHOULD* the Auber have been able to maintain this low temp as well as it does higher temps?

Thanks

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Auber at low temp - should it work
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 12:46:24 AM »
I would think that it should be able to.  You might need to do an auto-tune on it.  Another option is to reduce the element power.  I only run my 3DW element at 70 or 80% output and might even turn that down further.

In your hot weather it's possible the element just has enough output at max that it overshoots and then there is no environment to help it cool.

All of that said... don't sweat it.  My #2 had a 40 degree temp swing and it never once mattered.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

iamimdoc

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 09:12:39 AM »
If one lets the Auber cool down to < 150, then close door and reset temp to 150, things went well at keeping temp at 150 for hours.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 07:31:45 PM »
I reckon question answered!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill