Author Topic: Smoke bottom of door?  (Read 901 times)

Bigfish73

Smoke bottom of door?
« on: April 24, 2022, 07:03:34 PM »
Hello, I have smoke coming out of the bottom of the right side of the door. All other smoke sets come out through the hole in the top. Not sure why it’s pulling out the bottom right hand corner any suggestions?
No smoke is coming out of the hole on top. Have a small numerous times with the smoker not sure why it’s leaking out the door. Thanks for any input.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoke bottom of door?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 09:39:34 PM »
Have you had this problem for the last 2 years or is this a recent development? Seems rather odd to me since smoke will rise.  And gap at the bottom of the door to box will simply aid in the draft.  If it is under a roof with a ceiling fan directing air downward, that could theoretically negate the draft causing your problem.  But I have never experienced any smoke under any condition coming out from the bottom. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 06:54:49 AM »
I get some smoke that leaks out from the bottom right corner of the door, but not nearly the amount of smoke that comes out from the top of the smoker.    I have noticed, as Sarge points out, that if it is windy (my smoker is on the deck), the smoke coming from the top hole is not as noticeable as the wind blows the smoke around the top of the smoker.  When it is not windy, the smoke streams straight up from the smoker as is very noticeable.

How much wood are using?    I use around 5oz (one or two chunks of wood) and I get a lot of smoke in the first  heating cycle.   

Is the top hole somehow blocked/obstructed?   I am baffled as to why the smoke would not rise and exit the top of the smoker!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

tpcdelisle

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 12:44:05 PM »
Hey David, is the door not pressure sealed all of the way around? If it is, could one of the hinges be tweaked a bit or a bottom latch not tight enough?
Tony too!
From Southeast Indiana / Greater Cincinnati

Smokin-It 3D WiFi
Smokin-It 3 Analog
Bella’s Cold Smoke Generator
Recteq B380 Bullseye
Meat Your Maker 1 hp #22 Grinder
Beswood 250R 10” Slicer
Former Air Force
Retired FAA Air Traffic Controller
Anova Sous Vide
Super foodie of world cuisines