Author Topic: Soaking some of the wood chunks?  (Read 1493 times)

Kat@theCoast

Soaking some of the wood chunks?
« on: October 05, 2020, 07:15:49 AM »
Just wondering - when preparing for a longer smoke, has anyone ever tried soaking half the wood?

For example, if using six chunks of wood, soak three of them. In theory - the first three smoke sooner, the second three provide smoke during the later part of the smoking.

Would this work?
Or is there a temperature point beyond which the meat will not "accept" accept/absorb anymore smoke flavor?
Kat
Coastal NC
eager to learn!

barelfly

Re: Soaking some of the wood chunks?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 09:59:26 AM »
I haven’t tried soaking wood chunks for the #3D, and have read others mention it’s not needed, but I don’t know either way. I use to soak wood chips when using the grill but don’t do that anymore as well. Just thinking, all the different types of smokers I’ve read about, none recommend using soaked wood chunks. But, that doesn’t mean you can’t... You could try two smokes, the exact same smokes, but the only difference being your idea of soaked wood chunks and see what your thoughts are.

As for meat taking on smoke, I’ve read on another site it stops taking on the smoke at 140*, if I remember that correctly. So, longer smokes that’s a decent amount of smoke time.

Hope that helps, somewhat even though I didn’t necessarily give a direct answer to either question :)
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

smokeasaurus

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 05:37:27 PM »
I don't think I would try that. It is so easy to oversmoke in these smokers with the wood dry.

Soaking em would make them smolder even more I would think.
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 07:00:44 PM »
You'd have to soak wood over a long period of time for it to actually increase the moisture content of the wood in a real way.  Otherwise, all you're really doing is causing it to steam as it heats up and then finally start to smoke.  It's not a bad strategy if you want to give your smoker a chance to ramp up the temp without catching the wood on fire and add a little moisture to the environment at the same time.  Otherwise, I don't think it'll make much difference with the wood itself.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...