Author Topic: When to use a liquid pan, when not?  (Read 3005 times)

UpNSmoke

When to use a liquid pan, when not?
« on: May 14, 2020, 05:21:49 PM »
Newbie here, read a few on this but still unclear as to the answer to my post. Have a 2A, brand new. Used a pan with a beer for last evenings baby backs and tey turned out great. Question is, when to use a liquid pan, when not? What meats to use, what foods not to use. TIA friends!
Lee - currently in WI, future Texan.
I like to reminisce with people I don't know.

barelfly

Re: When to use a liquid pan, when not?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 05:45:13 PM »
I very rarely use a water pan these days. I don’t even remember the last time I used a water/liquid pan during a cook on my 3D.

I guess in my experience, I haven’t really noticed a difference with or without, so just starting going with out. I’d say, cook those ribs exactly how you did minus the beer and see if you can tell a difference? If you like it with, then keep on cooking with it.

It will be interesting to see what others say. Perhaps I need to relearn on the liquid use :)
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 06:49:19 PM »
I don't use a water pan anymore either. Meat is moist without it.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

mike1910

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 07:37:27 PM »
When I first started out with my #3 I was using a water pan on everything. Then after a number of smokes I started to forget to put it in. I never noticed a difference so now I rarely if ever use one. 🤷‍♂️
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 07:39:46 PM »
What Mike said, applies to me and my #3
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 07:54:38 PM »
Newbie here, read a few on this but still unclear as to the answer to my post. Have a 2A, brand new. Used a pan with a beer for last evenings baby backs and tey turned out great. Question is, when to use a liquid pan, when not? What meats to use, what foods not to use. TIA friends!

I will occasionally use a throwaway foil mini loaf pan with just water for ribs and brisket. For ribs, baby backs if lean; for brisket if choice.  I typically get prime brisket packer from Costco and it is so well marbled it needs no moisture.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Limey

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 02:04:31 PM »
I agree with Brian and Mike-used to use one in my #3 now never do. Just something else to clean.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

UpNSmoke

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 09:47:21 AM »
Thanks y'all! I think I'll ditch the pan, or maybe do the w & w/o test on ribs as an experiment.
Lee - currently in WI, future Texan.
I like to reminisce with people I don't know.

danthegrillman

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 04:42:43 PM »
Just curious if you did one without. I did my first ribs in my 2 today and forgot the pan and they were a bit dry for my liking. Wonder if it'd make a difference they weren't very big baby backs.

Paul B

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 05:44:26 PM »
I think you just overcooked.
With that said I've used various methods never using a water pan and the only time mine were dry was overcooking, my fault.  Even with that they were good.

PaulB12

danthegrillman

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 10:13:29 AM »
Yeah, my bad. I was overcompensating because I had done a pork butt a few weeks back and it was big, 9.5lbs, and it got stuck around 180 forever. I thought maybe the cold temps were a problem, but I guess it's not a problem for these smokers. I'm still learning, I'll get it right eventually.

Glock_21

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 10:46:39 AM »
I guess I'm behind the times, LOL.

I have used a loaf pan of liquid for almost every smoke I've ever done in my Model 3 (other than cold smokes).

Sounds like I need to ditch the loaf pan and see if I can really tell a difference or not.
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2021, 10:58:50 AM »
Let us know Travis if you see a difference without the pan.  I ditched the water pan and have not looked back!   My last smoke was two racks of BB ribs and they were very moist/tender all by themselves.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

OldeSmoker

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2021, 11:14:51 AM »
Yeah, my bad. I was overcompensating because I had done a pork butt a few weeks back and it was big, 9.5lbs, and it got stuck around 180 forever. I thought maybe the cold temps were a problem, but I guess it's not a problem for these smokers. I'm still learning, I'll get it right eventually.

Your pork butt was in the stall at 180. It usually happens to me in the high 160’s to 170’s but all meat is different. It typically hangs out there a couple of hours and will then push through and keep climbing. For the record I do use a water pan since it’s no more work than not. If it adds a little extra moisture to the meat, all the better.
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

danthegrillman

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2021, 08:56:45 AM »

Your pork butt was in the stall at 180. It usually happens to me in the high 160’s to 170’s but all meat is different. It typically hangs out there a couple of hours and will then push through and keep climbing. For the record I do use a water pan since it’s no more work than not. If it adds a little extra moisture to the meat, all the better.

Good to know, I had read about the 160-170 stall and noted it, but the one at 180 was much longer, and unfortunately I had gone 12 hours and thought it'd be done so I pulled it early and had to finish in a turkey roaster the next day after doing the cooler for 2 hours according to the lazy-q book.