Author Topic: Smoked A Small Batch Of Cheese Today  (Read 2523 times)

Norwester

Smoked A Small Batch Of Cheese Today
« on: January 20, 2019, 10:47:00 PM »
Mainly because I had a couple lbs of Tillamook Extra Sharp White Cheddar winking at me every time I opened the fridge.  :-*
I had a small taste before I put in the smoker and its good! Reminded of the wheel cheese they had on the counter of the grocery store when I was a kid. 3 hrs of pecan sawdust smoke and it darkened up pretty nice too. Colby in the rear. 44* today and temp stayed right at 67. Its edible now but I'll attempt to give it a few days.

Jeff from central Oregon

EFGM

Re: Smoked A Small Batch Of Cheese Today
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 10:58:04 PM »
I vacuum package mine and try to let it mellow in fridge for 3 weeks. Sometimes I’m not successful, but since I usually do a large amount much of it survives.

Looks awesome BTW!
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Norwester

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 11:58:04 PM »
Thanks! I've still got some from 3 or 4 weeks ago in the fridge so this might make it. Except for the smaller chunk of cheddar.  :D
Jeff from central Oregon

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 09:58:56 AM »
If you ever have the fortitude and like sharp cheeses, letting them age even longer only intensifies the flavor. I have some that has been aging for over 2 years now and only break one of them out for very special occasions and if shared, they are VERY close friends. ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Norwester

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 01:49:32 AM »
I don't know if I have any friends that I feel THAT close to! Most of 'em get the cheap stuff.
Cheese and beer.  ;D
I'm gonna make it a point to pick up 2-4 lbs every time I'm in Costco and stockup on it.
I love sharp cheese.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 01:53:38 AM by Norwester »
Jeff from central Oregon