Author Topic: Why only 250?  (Read 7001 times)

skioutwest

Why only 250?
« on: May 27, 2013, 10:58:50 PM »
I just ordered a model 3 as my first smoker.  Really excited!!  I have been researching recipe sites and noticed that most recipes say to smoke chicken at 300-350.

I am just curious why Smokin-it smokers only run up to 250 when their competition runs to 300?  Is there a way to hack the thermostat, or replace it with one with a higher limit?  It would seem that the unit could easily handle the additional 50 degrees.

Thanks all!

-Mark

Alphax

• "Brakes just slow you down..."
Re: Why only 250?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 12:55:35 AM »
low and slow baby...
-Brian
Model #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 02:12:12 PM »
I agree with the low and slow...  I smoke chicken (quarters, wings, whole) at 225.   The skin on chicken can be a bit rubbery, so I sometimes use my gas grill at the end of the smoke to add high heat and crisp up the skin (10 minutes or so).
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 11:15:55 PM »
It would be nice to be able to crank up the temp on occasion to 300 or maybe 325, for crisping up skin.  But smoking is all about slowness and smokiness.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Muttley

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 11:19:06 AM »
I think at temps above 300 you are baking at that point and not really "smoking". 

Two different cooking methods is what it boils down to. 

skioutwest

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 09:32:54 PM »
I'm just sayin'.....Cookshack uses a 300deg thermostat.  Why not provide the option to go higher.  The cost of the part could not be significantly more...

I agree with low and slow...would rarely go over 235, but with chicken I can see increasing temp

-Mark

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 09:31:35 AM »
With smokers sans a digital controller, the temperature fluctuates and an average cooking/smoking time is achieved producing very good results, even if we do agonize over the swings. A smoker that can reach 300 degrees has the potential to swing to a higher temp when one sets the control at say 275 or 300 and could produce disastrous results.

At those temperatures, I would guess that a digital controller would be highly desirable, however,  a poorly designed or inaccurate digital controller would be pretty much a liability as reported on another well known and popular smoker sold at big box stores and commented on in other forums.  The controller on the Cookshack is accurate and stable.    The smokers themselves are also expensive, and a replacement controller is extremely expensive to the tune of $600.00 or thereabouts for the Amerique 066 which is similar in size capacity to the model 3.

That is my take on high temp and digital control, for what it is worth.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 08:36:56 AM »
With smokers sans a digital controller, the temperature fluctuates and an average cooking/smoking time is achieved producing very good results, even if we do agonize over the swings. A smoker that can reach 300 degrees has the potential to swing to a higher temp when one sets the control at say 275 or 300 and could produce disastrous results.

At those temperatures, I would guess that a digital controller would be highly desirable, however,  a poorly designed or inaccurate digital controller would be pretty much a liability as reported on another well known and popular smoker sold at big box stores and commented on in other forums.  The controller on the Cookshack is accurate and stable.    The smokers themselves are also expensive, and a replacement controller is extremely expensive to the tune of $600.00 or thereabouts for the Amerique 066 which is similar in size capacity to the model 3.

That is my take on high temp and digital control, for what it is worth.

Thanks for that detailed explanation old sarge, makes perfect sense.
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

skioutwest

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 09:14:40 PM »
Thanks old sarge....great explanation.  I like the idea of a temperature controller...would be interesting to offer it as an add on accessory.