Author Topic: Pastrami Brining Help!  (Read 3569 times)

SoupBoss

Pastrami Brining Help!
« on: July 06, 2017, 12:08:00 PM »
Help!  I'm five days into brining an 8 pound brisket to make pastrami.  I had it triple bagged in ziplock bags and placed it in a large metal sheet pan in the fridge.  The bags have begun to leak brine. 

This is my first attempt at making pastrami.  What should I do about this brine issue?  Should I be concerned by the brine in the aluminum pan possibly comingling with the brisket?  Will there be issues with the cure since the brine no longer completely covers the brisket?  Do I add more brine?  Leave it alone and forge ahead?   Chuck it altogether?

Any information about this would be greatly appreciated!

Jerri
AKA:  SoupBoss
Salem, Oregon

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Pastrami Brining Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 12:29:58 PM »
I would get it out of the aluminum into something glass or a food-safe plastic if possible. In the short term, try re-bagging. You can make/add more brine if needed. It's best if it's covered in brine, but seeing how you are 5 days in, if you have enough brine where it's at least submerged half-way, you can flip it every 12 hours, it should still work. You might want to add a day if it's not covered in brine. For next time, the Cambro 12 quart square container is great for brining brisket flats, butt, chickens, and fits in most refrigerators. Also several other sizes and shapes to choose from. I prefer the Clear containers over the White, Polyethylene, or Translucent. It's nice to get a lid for it too.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/3095/square-clear-food-storage-containers-lids.html?vendor=Cambro

https://www.katom.com/cat/cambro-containers.html?

https://www.katom.com/cat/cambro-food-pans.html
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 12:57:42 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

stout

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 12:49:44 PM »
what i did for brining .. sometime back in an order of vacuum bag rolls for my vacuum food sealer i got a couple rolls that were not vacuum bags or they were miss-made perhaps.. they don't have the grooves that are needed to make them work..just smooth plastic.. but as they are on rolls i can cut them to size so i use them when i want to freeze something that doesn't really need a vacuum seal

i also use them for brining..last time i used it was for a large almost 18 pound brisket.. fit in tight but never the less did fit..

anyway cut off the size i need double seal the bottom.. put in meat put in brine and double seal top .. with out even trying to use the vacuum (won't work anyway)

on one that i cut to short to get back in to make the top seal i bunched it twised a little and used a couple zip strips to seal it tight.. never leaked a drop

SoupBoss

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 10:21:18 PM »
Thanks Stout and SconnieQ for responding to my pastrami brine question.  I rebagged the brisket and borrowed a neighbor's glass pan.  Haven't had any leaks since!  I'm going to order a Cambro container ASAP!  That was a very helpful recommendation. 

Thanks again!

Jerri
AKA: SoupBoss
Salem, Oregon