Author Topic: SLOWWW CURED Corned Beef Eye of Round  (Read 4996 times)

Nimrod

SLOWWW CURED Corned Beef Eye of Round
« on: March 11, 2017, 09:26:35 PM »
I saved a recipe I happened across for a slow cured corned beef using Beef Eye of Round rather than brisket and I like trying different things so I picked up some meat at Sams, brewed up the cure and have that baby soaking.  Im second guessing now and wanted to ask how you determine the amount of pink curing salt by weight of meat and time?  Probably not a clear answer but my recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of #1 pcs to a 5lb piece of beef.  Most recipes Ive seen for corned beef use 1 TEASPOON to a 5 lb piece of meat?  Also, my recipe calls for 12 (thats right, twelve) days in the brine vs 5-7 for most other recipes Ive seen?  Truly a slow brine.

I like to quantify things so Im puzzled by the large variations in quantity of curing salt and time and dont know if it may be the leaner cut of meat or? but hope Brian or Tony or some of the 'curing salt' experts can steer me towards equilibrium?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 09:36:32 PM by Nimrod »
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: SLOWWW CURED Corned Beef Eye of Round
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 02:39:20 PM »
Dave, 2 tablespoons is a LOT of #1!!  That's equal to 6 teaspoons, which is about 6 times too much for that piece of meat, especially considering a 2 day brine.  Where did you get that recipe, and can you post it?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Nimrod

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 03:00:25 PM »
Hi Tony,
Its a 12 day brine and here's the recipe....take a look and tell me if I misread something?

https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/slow-cured-corned-beef-31292
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 03:26:21 PM »
Doesn't look like you read it wrong, Dave, but it sure seems like way too much #1.  Maybe Martin or Brian will chime in, with their experience.  I wouldn't have used more than 1-2 tsp in that brine, and it would have worked fine.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Nimrod

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 04:11:13 PM »
Thanks for the input Tony!

I guess I began questioning the amount of cure too late in this process and am also trying to understand what benefit, if any, the extended (12 day) brining brings to the table?  Im staying the course for now but appreciate any input from the charcuterie experts out there.
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 05:54:27 PM »
That looks a bit high IMHO. Here's a recipe from Pork Belly that I have used and it turns out great: http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1808.0
You'll love the pastrami although I haven't tried it with an eye of round. I am working a braesola now with that cut but it won't be done for a few weeks. Rinse it well after brining and then put your spices on for pastrami and you should be fine I would think. Let us know how it turned out.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Nimrod

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 08:21:30 PM »
That looks a bit high IMHO. Here's a recipe from Pork Belly that I have used and it turns out great: http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1808.0

Thanks Bob!

Pork Belly's cure uses 5 teaspoons pcs to my recipe's 6 (2 tablespoons).   Thats still less than mine but not 50% less so that's some relief.  Im thinking the more days in the bath may equate to more pcs to prevent bacteria growth?  I'll try Brian's recipe next time but also really want to know how your braseola turns out.
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 01:50:07 PM »
The braesola is probably 4 - 6 weeks out. Not having done this before, it is a work in progress.....  8) I don't think you need to be worried about going a week or 2 in the brine. Since it is not open to the air, there's not much change of bad bugs getting in and your nose will more than likely tell you if they do. My personal opinion is that you will be fine and I can't wait to see how it turns out for you.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Nimrod

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 02:10:12 PM »
Thanks Bob.  I'll report back when its finished.

Looking forward to more details on your braesola when its journey is completed.
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

Nimrod

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 04:32:15 PM »
Well yesterday marked 12 days in the brine, rinsed that baby and simmered it in a fresh batch of seasoning for 3 hours.  The recipe calls for 160IT on the round and I expected it to take longer but when I checked it at 3 hours, I had overcooked to 190 IT :o I may have had too much heat on the stove and my eye of round was about 4 rather than the 5# mentioned in the recipe?

Let it cool and strained 6 cups of broth into another pan to cook potatoes, carrots and cabbage.  I would change my cook time a bit and maybe tweak the spices but it did not disappoint and would definitely try this again.  My wife loved the fact that this corned beef was very lean yet fork tender rather than the fattier brisket variety.  Looking forward to some reuben leftovers now :)
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 11:39:12 AM »
Looks like the corned beef came out pretty well Dave! Now you know what you want to tweak for next time.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Nimrod

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 10:27:56 PM »
Bob,
I was anxious, but decided to just stay 'strict' to the recipe (initially) so I could judge what to do different later and was pleasantly surprised :D
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2