Author Topic: Help with Lamb Pastrami  (Read 15609 times)

Sum1

Re: Help with Lamb Pastrami
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2017, 03:14:48 PM »
Here's what I've done today, based on what I was told by the Dickson's crew and Kari and Bob's comments.

2 lamb bellies, totaling 6.6 p.

Brined 3.5 days.

Using the process I outlined above. With the following changes:

Seasoning:

4T Whole black pepper
4T Coriander seeds
2T Cumin seeds
3 tsp Yellow mustard seeds
4T Light brown sugar
2T Garlic flakes or granulated

6T oil

- Toast the whole seeds, and grind them coarsely in a spice or coffee grinder. Add the remaining dry ingredients and pulse briefly in the grinder until incorporated.
- Mix in the oil until a paste is formed.

At first, I tried half the seasoning amounts, but the paste is thicker and requires double, and even then most of the seasoning is rolled inside, not on top as Dickson's do it. I ran out of rub paste and I figured that the seanoning inside should suffice.

Now the pastrami is in the smoker (3.5oz oak). After smoking, steaming and cooling, I'll know tomorrow how it came out and whether or not I need to modify things. I do think it'll be better than previous trials, but I'm not sure that it'll match Dickson's. Stay tuned...

What do you think?

Here are today's photos.

Zvi from Brooklyn

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 06:02:29 PM »
Sounds like you are more on track for the typical pastrami flavors, with the addition of cumin. Seems like it should taste good, even if it's not Dickson's. Sounds like they are "Dickson's" you around. I was inspired by your bravery and went to my local deli to pick their brain about their pastrami. The guy behind the counter obviously had little information about the process, but shared a couple tiny details, none of which was earthshaking.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:02:44 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Sum1

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2017, 10:03:09 PM »
I'm pretty sure this time around I got the real info, not only because it actually tastes that way, but also because this is what its chef says in this 2010 article that I found after my last visit there. The guy over the counter told me that their lamb pastrami rub is identical to their beef pastrami rub, only with the added cumin, and that they turn the rub into a paste by adding grapeseed oil. That lead me to search about Dickson's beef rub and other sites. Finally, I found this:

http://nymag.com/restaurants/features/66164/

I'll know tomorrow. I didn't have time to steam it yesterday, so it's steaming now and after cooling overnight in the fridge I'll see how it comes out.

Most folks behind the counter in a local deli wouldn't know much about the details of the spices etc. But Dickson's is something else. It's probably the best boutique butcher shop in NY. The staff better know their stuff..
Zvi from Brooklyn

Sum1

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 12:43:18 AM »
Ok, my verdict is that the rub I made isn't quite there yet. It's too sweet and not spicy enough.

I think I need to half the sugar, and double the cumin and mustard. I'll experiment with just the rub ingredients on their own and see.

But at least it LOOKS good... and tastes not bad.

Zvi from Brooklyn