Author Topic: Problems  (Read 5924 times)

schway

Problems
« on: March 06, 2013, 05:39:29 PM »
I notice my #2 which I set at 210 goes up to 248. Is this normal?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 08:58:54 PM »
Fluctuation to a high point then down to a low point is normal for an analog based system.  For it to be more precise, you would need a digital controller that would cut off power to the element within a degree or two of the set point and turn it back on when the temp dropped a degree or two below the set point.  And you would pay good money for a truly reliable digital control.  I would not worry about it.  Auberins makes such a control that regulates the temperature digitally if you are interested. But it is not inexpensive.  And I do not know how reliable it is.  For what it is worth, I would not worry about the fluctuation.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Rob Babcock

Re: Problems
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 03:52:17 AM »
The dirty little "secret" is that this is common, as Old Sarge says.  Your oven is the same way.  There can be a range of overshoot and undershoot of maybe 50-75 degrees!  For the most part, this isn't a big issue with meat.  It will average out in the end.  I can say the Smokin-It smokers are very well insulated!  They will keep a lot heat inside once you turn them off.