Author Topic: Bacon 4 Ways  (Read 7215 times)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Bacon 4 Ways
« on: November 08, 2015, 06:07:47 PM »
So I have been laid up recovering from some surgery and also have had the Casa de Bob in an uproar with some renovation work. That has come to an end so....I started a batch of bacon today since my stocks are getting low. Here are the spice combinations I used:

1. Used the Pork Belly method for some buckboard bacon and a ratio of 1 lb kosher salt, 8 oz brown sugar, and 2 oz pink salt. Added maple syrup to the bag and vacuum sealed it.
2. Used the same salt/sugar ratios as in #1 but added cane syrup to the bag.
3. Used a recipe from a friend who just got her SI#1 but is too shy to be on the forum (I'm working on her). Her recipe for 5 lb belly is: 5 Tbs kosher salt, 2 Tsp pink salt, 1/4 C brown sugar, 3 Tbs granulated sugar, 4 Tbs black pepper, 1 Tsp nutmeg, 2 Tsp fennel seed, 2 Tsp caraway seed, 2 Tsp dried thyme, 4 bay leaves, 5 cloves garlic (I used granulated).
4. Did a "Bob Recipe" that is a take off of Black Forrest bacon with 30 g pink salt, 3 g cardamom seed, 10 juniper berries, 3 g black pepper, 1 g granulated garlic, 2 bay leaves, 8 whole cloves, 1/2 cinnamon stick.

I will dutifully flip these bags for 7 - 10 days. I plan on smoking these a week from Wednesday. For my smoke I plan on first cold smoking using cherry pellets in and AMNPS and then use apple chips at 200 deg box temp until the meat reaches an internal temp of 150. Should be fun! Stay tuned.....
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Bacon 4 Ways
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 06:50:04 PM »
Staying tuned, Bob!  Can't wait to see how this episode ends! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 11:09:55 PM »
Hey Bob, wish you a speedy recovery. That is an interesting recipe for the bacon that your friend has. I smoked a 3lb belly today. Looks like it came out pretty good, I used cherry chips. I do have a amazing tube but have not seasoned it yet. May fire up the #3 to 250 degrees and put it in there for 4 hours. Just not sure if need to put on the floor or put on a low rack. Good luck with your bacon and take care.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 10:33:09 AM »
Hey Bill, thanks for the wishes, I would put it on the floor unless you think you will have a lot of grease that may combust. But with cold smoke that shouldn't be a problem.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 06:20:28 PM »
Prep is done. Going into the smoker! Started this morning with cherry pellets in the ANMPS and I am smoking 2 hrs at 100 deg and then 200 deg until IT gets to 150. Used 6 oz of cherry chips for the second smoke.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 07:57:44 PM »
Great to see the recovery is going well enough to smoke bacon, Bob!  Looks like you're definitely on the mend.  Now, doctor's orders are at least one dose of bacon a day, for the rest of your life! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 12:26:13 PM »
Thanks Tony. I'm looking forward to trying out the different flavor profiles. With the holidays, that may be after Thanksgiving. The batch is currently "resting" in the refrigerator.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Dockmaster

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 04:02:43 PM »
Hope you are doing better Bob.  Question for you and Bill -- I'm real green so am asking a lot of questions of you all.  When you say, "put it on the floor", are you saying to lowest rack location?  Thanks in advance.
Steve, Jacksonville, Florida -- SI #2; Started smoking in 1982 on a Weber kettle grill; then a Masterbuilt charcoal bullet; then a Masterbuilt propane fired bullet. Retired Navy Submariner; Retired Dockmaster.

mizzoufan

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 08:38:45 AM »
Steve, they actually mean on the floor of the smoker.  In this case (in case you missed that) they were talking about an A-MAZE-N tube smoker (https://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNTS) to smoke with very little heat to start with before turning the smoker on
Steven from KCMO

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 09:06:02 AM »
SteveI was referring to the literal floor of the smoker. I have the small rectangle version of the A-Maz-N smoke generator. I am still trying to decide if it is worth it at 6500 ft because it doesn't stay lit well. I think it is because of lack of oxygen at altitude.

The good news is that I was able to finish the smoke before holiday plans came into effect. Results in the pictures.  :) I plan on a taste comparison after the holidays. That should be a really good day.  ;D
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 12:38:53 PM »
That's beautiful, Bob!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Dockmaster

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 12:58:45 PM »
A-Maze-N smoke generator on the floor.  I'm with you now!  Thanks, Bob -- and the bacon looks great!
Steve, Jacksonville, Florida -- SI #2; Started smoking in 1982 on a Weber kettle grill; then a Masterbuilt charcoal bullet; then a Masterbuilt propane fired bullet. Retired Navy Submariner; Retired Dockmaster.

elkins20

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 03:49:58 PM »
Hope you are doing better Bob.  Question for you and Bill -- I'm real green so am asking a lot of questions of you all.  When you say, "put it on the floor", are you saying to lowest rack location?  Thanks in advance.

Nope Steve would be on the floor of the smoker, and probably next to the fire box.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

elkins20

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 03:51:56 PM »
Bob, looks like the bacon turned out really good.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 01:03:52 PM »
So my wife (traditionalist flavor leanings) and I cooked up our bacon samples to do a comparison of the 4 recipes.

In the pictures the order of the bacon is as follows (L to R): Buckboard bacon, Brian's recipe; Friends recipe, Brian's recipe except used cane syrup, and my recipe which is a take off of Black Forrest bacon.

Here are the results:
1. Buckboard bacon: Wife rated this #1, liked its sweetness, leaner bacon is great, I also liked this flavor profile best.
2. Friend's recipe: Wife rated this #3. Thought it had a more smokey or earthy flavor. I thought it had a mellow character that the others didn't have. Flavor was very good. My #2.
3. Cane syrup recipe: Wife rated this #2. I thought it had a hit of jerky flavor, I thought it a little more bland than the maple syrup version, it was also saltier but that may have been a function of rinsing. My #3.
4. Bob's Black Forrest takeoff recipe: Wife rated this #4. She didn't care for the cardamom tone. I thought the flavor good but of the 4 probably #4 for me as well. I'll have to change from the cardamom next time. But not bad.

So there you have it. The bottom line, make bacon and play with the recipes to suite your tastes! :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN