Author Topic: Lessons learned  (Read 6994 times)

viticulture

• Smoked meat and aged wine makes for a good evening
Lessons learned
« on: March 02, 2013, 07:42:24 PM »
To all those who may not have attempted a brisket yet, I thought I might share a lesson learned re; my 1st brisket smoke attempt. Just as all great wines start with great grapes the same must hold true for cuts of meat. My 1st mistake was to purchase a "Select" grade of brisket and to add insult to injury, I paid $5.99/ lb for it as it had to be special ordered because the grocery stores around these parts don't carry it. So w/my $45 hunk of meat sitting in the fridge, I searched the internet for the perfect brisket smoking recipe. Well, I came up with about 20 different ones and might have, no wait, I did, end up mixing them up amongst one another. I used an ungodly concoction of seasonings with oak/ hickory for the wood. I started the cook at 5a. It hit the stall at ~ 10a. At 225 it only went up 12 degrees over the next 5 hours. Wow. Adding in the 2 hr rest after cooking, I figured I'd be eating at ~ 6pm - ha ha ha. At 8p my wife and son gave up and went to Taco Bell. At 9 pm I had my first bite of my brisket - bleck! Apparently using apple cider vinegar as a spritz (4 times) was not a good idea. My dog, however, loved it.
  So, there you have it. Buy quality meat, stick w/ the basics for seasonings, start early, resist the urge to open the door and don't use apple cider vinegar as a spritz/ mop sauce.
  Went to Costco today and found a "Prime" brisket at $3.99/lb. Going to try this one more time tomorrow - early....
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 09:23:49 AM by viticulture »

psoltesz

• Model #1 Owner
Re: Lessons learned
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 06:00:54 PM »
I hear you.  The quality of the meat is SO important when smoking a brisket.  I've found it just takes time and testing to get it right.  I've smoked over a dozen briskets now, and each time I learn little something new.  Here are my lessons learned:

TIME:  Good brisket takes flippin' forever to cook, and even longer if you want it to be as tender as possible.  I normally buy a brisket that's between 12-14 pounds, and I follow the basic principle of 1 hour per pound + two hours.  For example, a 14-pound brisket will take around 16 hours to cook at 220°.  Keep in mind, this is just a rule of thumb...the best thing to do is place an instant thermometer into the thickest part of the brisket and check the temp regularly.

BASTE/MOP:  I use a very simple solution for basting:  apple juice with a splash of olive oil.  I put both into a spray bottle, then shake it up each time just before spraying the brisket. I do this every hour for at least the first five hours the meat is smoking.

STALL:  You will absolutely hit a stall during the cooking process.  This is usually because the fat cap (which I always place up) will begin to render and melt down into the rest of the meat.  This is absolutely what you want to happen, but it does cause the meat to cool down during this time.  After a while, you will see the temp start to rise again, albeit slowly.

COOLER METHOD:  Once the brisket reaches an internal temperature of 195°-198°, I remove it from the smoker and place it inside a large plastic oven bag (the kind people use for turkeys at Thanksgiving).  I then place the wrapped brisket into the bottom of an ice chest and pile towels on top of it, basically enough to take up the free space inside the cooler.  Doing this traps the heat inside.  I let the brisket rest inside the cooler for 1-2 hours, which allows the juices to redistribute and the meat to continue cooking under its own heat.

So all told, a 14-pound brisket can take me 18-20 hours to get onto the table, and I plan accordingly.  I usually apply the dry rub (ask me about my killer rub recipe!) ~36 hours ahead of time, then plan to wake up at an ungodly hour to get it into the smoker.  This is the price you pay, but it's worth it in the end.

I'm your huckleberry...

Rob Babcock

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 03:50:18 AM »
I've yet to do a whole brisket but it's on my list! ;D

02ebz06

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 10:31:14 AM »
$5.99/lb - Ouch!!!

I would love to find a "prime" brisket and would gladly pay $3.99/lb.
Typically I see Choice briskets for $2.19 to $2.29 per pound.

Briskets do take time. I also allow 18-20 hrs as psoltesz said.
If it gets done early you can always FTC extra time.