Author Topic: First run at bacon  (Read 4076 times)

septemberelk

First run at bacon
« on: February 16, 2015, 09:37:48 PM »
My first try at bacon was a success. I used a 14 lb pork belly that i trimmed down to 12 pounds. Cured for 8 days then rinsed and dryed. Let sit in the fridge overnight and then into the smoker for a 4 hour cold smoke with hickory. Temp up to 82 degrees at one point. Removed and let it mellow for a couple of days. Can't wait to do more.
Mike from western Washington. Smokin it #4

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: First run at bacon
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 10:28:38 PM »
Beautiful, lean looking bacon.  As a fellow #4 owner, I've learned a couple tricks with my cheese cold smokes that really helped keep my box temps down if you are interested.  Check out my Cheese - Round 2 thread.  I can give you more details if necessary. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

septemberelk

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 10:50:24 PM »
Thanks Super Dave, i will check that out. I have another sixteen pounds in the cure as we speak. I need to stay away from Cash and Carry.LOL. I will try to post some pics as i proceed.Thanks for the info.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 10:55:51 PM »
Homemade bacon is always better. I'm glad your making bacon and don't want to come across as critical of your attempt.

Cold smoking is fine I often cold smoke and hot smoke bacon to get maximum smoke flavor prior to it coming to 150 IT. What ever cut of meat you are using belly, butt or loin you get a firmer consistent product when you take it to 150 IT. The curing salts have preserved the meat but bringing it up to temp structurally making it more dense.

I'm curious what did you trim off that amounted to the 2 lb difference?
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

septemberelk

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 11:16:33 PM »
Thanks Pork Belly. I am going to try the hot smoke on my next attempt. The belly i purchased had a very thin edge on one side that was cut funny so i squared it up and the other edge had a corner that was all fat with no meat so i cleaned it up also. I'm probably to critical on the shape and fat content but i'm learning and i want it to be good. Any info is appreciated,thanks again.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 11:57:04 PM »
Don't trim it next time fat is flavor. Also even if you make it a perfect rectangle it will warp when it smokes and cooks. You can trim it after it is smoked them you have tasty bits to snack on. I typically just square one edge then run it through the slicer.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

septemberelk

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 08:25:43 AM »
Thanks Brian, thats what i will do from now on. Hope my next batch turns out as good as the last one did.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 08:37:50 PM »
Congrats on the bacon, Mike!  It's one of my favorite food groups! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!