Author Topic: Canadian Bacon Question  (Read 3516 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Canadian Bacon Question
« on: February 10, 2015, 07:49:42 PM »
I've been searching Canadian Bacon recipes and I'm very puzzled by the variance in the amount of instacure for 1 gallon of liquid.  I've seen everything from 2 tsps. to 2 1/2 Tbsps.  That seems like people are all over the map on what's the correct amount.  So, my question is, does the forum stand-by recipe of 1 Tbsp = the 12 day brine and more = less days or is it just a free for all? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Canadian Bacon Question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 10:55:50 PM »
I prefer to weigh the Instacure #1 and have always used 1 ounce per gallon.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 11:03:29 PM »
I will be the odd person out on this I use my Basic Dry Cure with the addition of one quarter cup each of Brown sugar and Maple Syrup. Seven days sealed in ziplock then smoke until 150 IT.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2249.msg14934#msg14934

I have made them several times like this and never found them to be dry or thinking I should have brined them.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 10:11:32 AM »
In viewing several recipes, I've also seen brine times from 2 days to 2 weeks. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 08:14:23 PM »
Dave,

I have yet to try Brian's dry-brine bacon recipe, but I know it is definitely solid.  He's quite the expert at cured meat!  I initially used the Pop's brine recipe, but have since gone to an equilibrium brine.  The equilibrium brine method is so predictable, repeatable, and easily modified.  If you haven't read this, it might help:

Brining 101 - the Difference Between Gradient and Equilibrium Brines

This uses weight, not measurements.  Many of the gradient brines (like you said about the amount of cure, "all over the page") have a lot of uncontrollable variables.  I use gradient brines for butts and loins, but it's because I have dialed-in the time factor.  It's easy to over-salt meat with a gradient brine.

I also disagree with the 12-day recommendation.  I've found that my pork loin brine, for example, penetrates the meat at about 3/4" per day.  So, if your loin is 4" in diameter, it only takes 3 days to fully penetrate the meat (1.5" per day, from all sides).  4 days won't hurt, in this example, but 12 is not needed.

I know this may be a little "left field," but I believe that understanding different brining methods will open your options up.  The beauty of equilibrium brining is that you can never "over-brine."  Once the meat and the brine reach equilibrium (through osmosis and diffusion), it will never be any more, or less, brined.  This is why a lot of commercial producers use this; it's very repeatable.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:16:44 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!