Author Topic: Auber wall mounted PID sensor part number  (Read 8103 times)

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
Auber wall mounted PID sensor part number
« on: January 22, 2015, 03:10:00 AM »
I'm wondering if this is a typo on the smoking-it.com website:

http://www.smokin-it.com/PID_sensor_p/ws-sensor05.htm

The webpage shows WS-SENSOR05 as the product code and then goes to mention it's for fourth generation Auber's. When I was browsing the Auber sensors website I believe this product code is for third generation Auber's and WS-SENSOR11 is the product code for fourth generation Auber's?

The older sensor appears to be a thermistor and the newer sensor is an RTD or Resistance Temperature Detector.

I think I caught this while researching my path to using the HeaterMeter PID.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Auber wall mounted PID sensor part number
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 10:52:58 AM »
Is there a tell tale looking at the auber to verify which generation the unit actually is? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 11:37:35 AM »
I can't answer this since I'm not an Auber owner.   ;)

Tony from Marion, IA

Limey

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 12:27:54 PM »
You can tell the generation by looking at the suffix on the model number. CPH is third generation, GPH is fourth generation.
Tman is correct that the sensor on SI's website, WS-SENSOR05 is for the third generation(wall mount.)
The correct sensors for the fourth generation GPH models are;
SENSOR12-food sensor   SENSOR10-free hanging box sensor  SENSOR11-wall mount box sensor.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 01:02:07 PM »
The wall sensor that came with my gen 4 unit looks exactly like the one in the photo with the apparent wrong number.  Hopefully, I'm not using a gen 3 probe with my gen 4 Auber.   :P
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Walt

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 01:20:03 PM »
I think the plug was changed to a larger RCA plug in gen 4.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 10:19:55 PM »
I've emailed Steve for clarification on this.  I think it's just a photo-update issue.  The picture is definitely the CPH probe, but the description in for the GPH (which is what he stocks now).  I'll let you know what I hear.  The new probe has the 4mm (big) plug, and white plastic insulation around the wire, unlike the photo.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 10:28:56 PM »
Is the thermistor (older model [size=0px]WS-SENSOR05[/size][/color]) part using a plug that is similar in size to standard Auber ET-72/73, ET-732, or ThermoWorks TX-1000 series thermistor probes? Basically curious if it can be plugged into a standard jack that most thermo probe devices accept (e.g. like the maverick's, etc...)? Or are the probes pretty much unique connectors for every vendor?

Tony from Marion, IA

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 10:53:37 PM »
Not sure about your whole question, Tony.  But, on the Auber CPH (3rd gen) smoker probes, they have the mini stereo jack.  I've never tried to plug it in my Maverick.  The GPH plug is the old-style, large, stereo plug (like our old headsets used to use, or amp cords for a guitar).  The probe itself is also different.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Limey

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 09:59:35 AM »
I have a bunch of different thermometers and find that I need to match up specific probes with certain thermometers for the best accuracy. Perhaps manufacturers tune their thermometers to a certain probe. I know they are supposed to be interchangeable, and they are in the sense that they work and show a reading, but accuracy suffers.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 10:15:57 AM »
I have one of my Maverick probes that is now officially dead. It had been acting up for the last two to three smokes, but now won't even register anything.

So, I tried the probe from my cheap Walmart thermometer and it registered a temp but was showing 130 degrees in my house. So, at least this probe was not interchangeable.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 11:23:18 AM »
Different probes have different resistive thermistor specifications. Usually receivers are only tuned for a small set of "probes". This is another benefit of a project like HeaterMeter. If you can determine the properties of the probe specification you can add support for it into the product:

https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki/HeaterMeter-Probes

Most companies products only support a special set of probes to ensure clean compatibility and it keeps the users coming back to buy more probes!

I talked with the developer of the HeaterMeter project and he said if I can get the specifications from the probe vendor he can add support for it to the product. Sometimes these things can be reverse engineered as well but it's much easier and more accurate to get the real data from the manufacturer if they are willing to give it out.

Tony from Marion, IA

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 11:27:03 AM »
So, I'm trying to determine which probe I want installed permanently in my smoker. If I used what most of you are installing with your Auber's and we could get HeaterMeter project to support it then it would be easier to move/share/interchange these designs and components (i.e. use an Auber or HeaterMeter with your currently installed probe that you drilled into that nice smoker!).

Tony from Marion, IA

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 07:15:33 PM »
I've emailed Steve for clarification on this.  I think it's just a photo-update issue.  The picture is definitely the CPH probe, but the description in for the GPH (which is what he stocks now).  I'll let you know what I hear.  The new probe has the 4mm (big) plug, and white plastic insulation around the wire, unlike the photo.

Clarified this with Steve - the photo is wrong, and he's getting it corrected.  It is the new 4th-Gen GPH style probe.
Tony from NW Arkansas

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 11:39:10 PM »
Tony, thanks for touching base with Steve on that. I didn't know the picture was out of date but I was more concerned with the description next to the picture that mentioned availability and "Product Code". I think the WS-SENSOR05 is now WS-SENSOR11.

Tony from Marion, IA