Author Topic: Double Smoked Sugar Cane Cured  (Read 3669 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Double Smoked Sugar Cane Cured
« on: January 04, 2015, 12:34:49 PM »
On a recent trip to Mississippi brought home three quarts of Pure Cane Syrup. I used it to make a variation of my Dry Cured Bacon.

Everybody doesn't have a scale so I listed different measuring options.
Basic Dry Cure
1Pound or 450 grams Kosher Salt
8 oz. or 225 Grams Sugar
2 oz. or 50 grams or 10 teaspoons Pink Salt- Sodium Nitrite

After assembling your Basic Cure you need to decide on your cut of meat. Are you doing Bellies, Loin or Boneless Pork But? It doesn't matter all these steps are the same. Take approximately two cups of you cure and pour it onto a cookie sheet. Spread the cure evenly and begin rolling and patting you choice of meat in the brine as if you were dredging meat to fry it. The cure will adhere to the meat. Continue to coat the meat until it cant hold anymore cure, adding more cure ass needed. Discard any cure that made contact with meat, store remaining cure in an airtight container.

After coating the belly sections I placed one section of belly,skin side down on the counter (although these were skinless). I applied approximately one half cup of cane syrup on the rib side spread evenly. The other cure covered section of belly was placed meat side onto the syrup. I then wrapped the stack of belly in several layer of cling wrap and began the seven day flip process.  After seven days I rinsed and patted dry the bellies. I placed them on the wire shelves of the fridge for 24 hours. You an find more details about this process in my posting "Dry Cured Bacon". I loaded the #3 on the top shelves and put in four small pieces of cherry. Three were slivers and one a very small block, all totaling less than 3 oz. I dialed up 175, then backed it down to 100 after I saw the first wisp of smoke. I cold smoked at 100 for 14 hours and removed the meat to allow it to cool. I checked the IT and found it to be a perfect 98 (less than 100 is cold smoke). After the meat cooled and I had loaded 3 oz of cherry I smoked at 175 for 8 hours until reaching an IT of 150. The family claims this is the best bacon I have made, the sweetness is subtle and the smoke flavorful but not overpowering.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 12:40:07 AM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
Re: Double Smoked Sugar Cane Cured
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 07:34:36 PM »
Looks amazing Brian!
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 08:43:55 PM »
Man Brian, that is amazing looking bacon....lots for me to learn.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 12:50:20 AM »
Thanks guys, I'm pretty happy with it. I smoked that hunk of loin at the same time. It was rolled in dry cure then sealed in a zip-lock bag with a 1/4 cup of cane syrup and 1/4 cup of Hoover Sauce. You cant taste a pronounced note of the syrup, sauce or smoke, it is all blended together nicely.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 10:16:28 PM »
Brian, I didn't see this yesterday, and it's a good thing!  I'm almost speechless, and have a sudden craving for bacon!  That's beautiful!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!