Author Topic: Pastrami  (Read 10643 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Pastrami
« on: June 13, 2014, 02:05:26 PM »
Follow the instructions for Corned Beef until the point it comes out of the brine.

Remove the brisket from the brine, rinse with cold water and pat dry. Combine 1 tablespoon each of coriander seeds and whole black peppercorns in a heavy skillet and toast them over low heat until you can smell them Remove them from the skillet and grind immediately. evenly coat the entire surface of the meat with the ground spice mixture. Cold smoke the meat for at least two hours, increase the heat to 200 and finish with internal temp of 150. Allow to cool then slice.

Variations, both the corned beef and the pastrami can be made with Eye of the Round, Top Round or any cut of meat really. Its the process not the cut of meat that makes it corned or pastrami. I will include a picture pastrami I made from Bison Eye of The Round sliced and unsliced. The whole pastrami is in the lower right corner of the tub of meat. Those are pork hocks in the tub with it. The hocks were cure following my maple bacon dry cure recipe. Both the hocks and pastrami were smoked over apple at 150 until reaching 150 internal. You could eat those tender hocks like a meat apple.

***One forum member had a bad experience with some very salty Pastrami following this procedure. The original corned beef was changed by the author reducing the salt level, but it is still salty. However as written it is to be boiled. The author did amened his recipe with the following note:

*A note about the salt: The salt level is not hugely critical here because it’s basically boiled, and the excess salt moves into the cooking liquid. You can weigh out 12 ounces here if you feel better using a scale (approximately a 10% brine). Or you can simply make a 5% brine of however much water you need to cover (6.4 ounces per gallon). When you cook it, season the cooking liquid to the level you want your meat seasoned. Another option is wrapping the brisket in foil and cooking it in a 225°F oven till tender, but do this only if you’ve used the 5% brine.

So if you are going to smoke it only make a 5% brine
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 08:32:11 AM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Pastrami
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 08:24:50 PM »
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!  Sorry - read the corned beef post first! :-[
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 09:02:42 PM »
Hey Brian, you just keep amazing me with your posts.  You keep posting these great recipes and methods of things I never would have thought possible with these smokers.

I am humbled to have you as a member of this forum.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 01:00:40 AM »
Thanks
- Sigmund Freud

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 03:53:05 PM »
Brian, you're killin' me with these great recipes!  8) With just the wife and myself at home now, I am trying to figure out how to try all of these recipes and not get fatter than I already am!  :-\ Plus I also obviously need to buy a slicer although I like old school slice by hand for bacon......
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

coachB

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 02:24:49 PM »
Brian, I have a question.  I have made numerous pastramis in the past and I always used Meathead's (amazin-ribs) Katz Deli recipe.  It calls for 225 to an IT of 195-200.  Needless to say, this makes for a very long smoke.  Additionally,  when it would finally be finished it would look like a charred cinder block.  After letting it rest 24 hrs, then steaming it, it would fine.  However, if smoking at 150 until an IT of 150 would not be undercooked I think I would prefer  the lower IT.  Am I correct on this?
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 12:19:13 AM »
I am not sure what to tell you on this one, I have made several briskets into corned beef. The only pastrami I have made has been from Bison eye of the round. Honestly I prefer Corned beef over pastrami or smoked brisket as does my family. I can check my recipe book when I return hom in a few days but I had no issues with only going to 150. As far as steaming the meat, I have never tried that.
- Sigmund Freud

coachB

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 12:41:41 AM »
Brian, if I could make pastrami from corned beef brisket (or round) at 150 deg/150 IT I would be a happy camper.  Hell, the stall at about 160 and again at 185 can drive you crazy.  It also makes it a little crusty, which the steaming seems to help.  It is also how most NY deli's keep their briskets warm prior to slicing for sandwiches.
I have a corned beef in the fridge now so I will give the 150/150 a shot.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 12:43:55 AM »
If that is a cured but uncooked corned beef you should be fine. It might be more tender cooking to a higher it then steaming but it seems like a hassle to me. I have an excellent slicer and sharp knives, thin is always tender.
- Sigmund Freud

coachB

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 11:32:58 AM »
Brian,  I have since checked into a few other pastrami recipes besides the Meathead/Katz Deli one I have always used.  While all the rubs have varied, the cooking temps have all fallen into the 150-160 IT range you recommend.  He seems to have taken the IT for a normal brisket smoke and applied it to pastrami.  I am definitely going to use your guidelines.  Thanks again.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 11:49:25 AM »
I look forwarded to seeing the pictures. One final tip, when finished we tasted a small piece cut off the end, it was way too peppery. The key is the thin slices, most of the pepper falls sways and you don't get a mas of spice at once. 
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 02:06:59 PM »
Time to revive a great post!  I have a 5lb brisket flat going in Brians corned beef brine today!  Looking forward to some great pastrami!

I'll be trying something new... After the brine, I plan to smoke it for 4-5 hours, at 140.  It will then go into a vac bag, and in a sous vide bath for 2-3 days at 150 (haven't decided on the time yet).  More to follow, in a separate topic!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 03:54:32 PM »
Time to revive a great post!  I have a 5lb brisket flat going in Brians corned beef brine today!  Looking forward to some great pastrami!

I'll be trying something new... After the brine, I plan to smoke it for 4-5 hours, at 140.  It will then go into a vac bag, and in a sous vide bath for 2-3 days at 150 (haven't decided on the time yet).  More to follow, in a separate topic!

Thanks for reviving the topic. I look forward to your results. My last experience with pastrami on my WSM without steaming was not very good. (Mostly my fault for cutting corners on the process.) Now that I have the SI and the Anova sous vide, I'm excited to try it all over again! I have a great New York-style deli just a few blocks from my house with mind-blowing pastrami, and I think I can make it as good (and probably better) as them, no problem, now.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

GarthMN

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 09:22:12 AM »
This looks amazing!  I've never done pastrami, but would love to try.  What types of wood do you like with this?  We usually smoke with oak and mesquite for beef, would that work here?
Garth from Minneapolis
SI Model #1

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 09:45:03 PM »
Whit oak, cherry or a mix of them would be good. I have a friend in Arizona that smokes on Pistachio Wood that intrigues me.
- Sigmund Freud