Author Topic: Salts for brines or seasoning - so many choices!  (Read 2804 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Salts for brines or seasoning - so many choices!
« on: January 30, 2014, 08:58:04 PM »
I usually use Kosher salt in my recipes and brines, but am an avid user of sea salt also.  I find the flavor of sea salt preferable to table salt, and I don't need the iodine due to a balanced diet.  I used to think "salt is salt," until I tasted a few different varieties.  To me, at least, there are distinct taste differences in salts.  Many of the differences are due to where it is formed, and the trace minerals picked up during the formation.  It really does make a difference in the taste!

I've been researching different salts lately, and had no idea there were so many varieties!  I came across this website, and the explanations/descriptions are very informative!  I'll probably experiment with some of their very unique salts!

http://www.saltworks.us/salt_info/si_gourmet_reference.asp#.UusADLS8-Fx

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DiggingDogFarm

Re: Salts for brines or seasoning - so many choices!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 08:41:59 AM »
I have dozens of different salts kicking around here and while I do use the fancier ones mostly for "finishing"...for brining and curing I typically just use "canning and pickling" salt because it's such a bargain.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Salts for brines or seasoning - so many choices!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 08:46:44 AM »
My all-purpose is plain old Morton's Kosher salt in the big blue box.  I just thought these varieties were worth sharing!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!