Author Topic: Auber vs CyberQ vs custom PID  (Read 10302 times)

cwshiles

• Get out there and Smoke it!
Auber vs CyberQ vs custom PID
« on: December 17, 2013, 12:49:10 PM »
I have been leaning heavily towards purchasing the Auber based on the good results on this forum but in reading other forums as well I have also been considering a Cyber Q or possibly custom made wifi PID.  I really like the idea of controlling the device remotely, receive alerts, and being able to chart my cooks so I have that data should I ever want to review it.

I have noticed charted results from someone in this forum and was wondering what you used to gather that data.  Maybe DivotMaker or JohnnyTex can recall who put those graphs up or know what software they used.

I am sure I could go with the Auber and would totally happy because I really like the ability to set the steps/actions  as well as the hold feature.  I think the CyberQ has the hold feature, but I am not sure it has the step ability.  In a perfect world, I would like to have the steps along with Wifi so I could be alerted when a step is triggered or when the cook is done.  There are some sites out there where folks have built their own with the Arduino controller and added components to it for the temp probes as well as LCD display, but its been years since I dabbled in any of that and I don't have the time for the learning curve.

I also like the Idea of being at the golf course and receiving an alert that my food has reached temp and has been put into holding temp mode.

Cheers.
Charlie from MD
Smokin it Model #3 with Cart
Auber 1503, Maverick ET-733, iGrill

Wik

Re: Auber vs CyberQ vs custom PID
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 09:47:39 PM »
I had never heard of CyberQ, but did a quick search as it would be pretty cool to monitor via web.  Seems a bit complicated, but I also thought the settings on the Aubers 1503 were going to take some time to learn.  All I can say is I have been pretty happy with the ease of use and abilities of the pre-built Aubers unit, granted it isn't going to send an alert or graph anything for you.  I'm sure you code build a custom PID unit, but to get the 6 different steps that would be difficult I presume.

I have the Brewtroller which is built on the Arduino controller and it does work well, but I didn't want to tinker with it and the pre-build PID seems pretty solid for what it does.  However if you wanted Web access to you might want to check out the BCS-460.  I'm sure you could program it with multiple steps as well and gather everything you need from its Web interface.  If you decide to go a route other than the Aubers unit, let us know how it works out.  I'm already invested in it, so I doubt I'll change but still curious as to what else is out there.
Cheers,
Wik
Chad from Moorhead, MN
Proud #3 Owner

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 06:25:07 PM »
Auber is easy. 

Instructions I had were not great but it only took 1-2 hours just reading and playing with it. 

After that real easy. Love the charting options with cyberq that seems fun but not relevant.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 07:59:33 PM »
OK, maybe I'm missing something here.  From what I see, the Cyber Q is a helluva system designed for non-electric smokers, like the Big Green Egg.  It uses a system of fans to control temp in the smoker.  That's $295.  Now, if you want to "adapt" it to an electric smoker (no fans), you have to buy the Power Raptor for another $110.  So you end up with a a "modified" electric controller for $405!  I wouldn't think that wi-fi and graphing (can't see much use for this unless you're into science experiments) would be worth DOUBLE the cost of the Auber!

Disclaimer:  I don't have either one; just looking at it from a common-sense perspective.  If I'm totally missing the boat on this one, please let me know! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

rickne

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 12:16:02 AM »
If the Auber is set up right and doing it's job....  it would be one boring graph.  I suppose you could watch the meat warm up. ;D
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 03:13:50 AM »
Tend to agree.  Once dialed in the Auber could print a graph but ok it would always look the same.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

cwshiles

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 08:11:29 AM »
The price difference as well as the non- stepping ability is what has stopped me from buying anything yet.  The auber seems to be the way to go.  The most tempting features of the CyberQ is the wifi feature and the multiple probes.  I guess it's the results I have had so far have made me think I need them.  For instance,I hooked my Maverick 733 up to both boston butts over the weekend which were on the same rack in my #3. The meat was 5 degrees apart through most of the cycle. Those 5 degrees can make a difference between fat rendering and not. I suppose the fix is to still use the Maverick with the Auber or use my iGrill which does provide that graphing feature.  The graphing feature for me isn't really that big of a deal, but it would be interesting to see some of the data such as the stall length as well as total cook time. Not a necessity, but neither was a smoker.  It's a fun hobby which I am really enjoying as are my friends and family.     ;D

Do you guys with Aubers still use your Mavericks?
Charlie from MD

rickne

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 09:07:46 AM »
Charlie, I do have a Maverick as well and do plan to use it in parallel with the Auber.  Mostly to monitor multiple cuts of meat and so that I can keep an eye on meat temps remotely.  The Maverick comes with two probes, one for the meat and one for the cooker.  I will likely pick up another meat probe and use it solely for that.

An another note, it's very common for two butts to vary from each other in temp.  Every cut of meat acts a little different.  Also, it may have to do with where your probe was inserted.  When my butts come to temp, I put the probe into the meat in various locations to check it.  I get a different number every time.  It may be closer to the bone or in a pocket of fat, or in a more dense part of the muscle.

There are so many factors to consider.

cwshiles

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 09:42:26 AM »
That's what I figured. I did the same thing with my instant read.  It slid in like it was butter, so I figured it was done along with the IT being where I wanted it.  I just try not to open that door as little as possible. 

I will say that one nice thing about both the iGrill and the Maverick 733 is that both probes can be used for meat so if the Auber is regulating chamber temp and one meat then I could use the Maverick or iGrill probes for my other cuts of meat or as a 2nd probe in the meat being monitored with the Auber. 

Charlie from MD

rickne

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 01:36:31 PM »
I will say that one nice thing about both the iGrill and the Maverick 733 is that both probes can be used for meat so if the Auber is regulating chamber temp and one meat then I could use the Maverick or iGrill probes for my other cuts of meat or as a 2nd probe in the meat being monitored with the Auber.

That's exactly my plan.

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 02:22:15 PM »
The meat was 5 degrees apart through most of the cycle. Those 5 degrees can make a difference between fat rendering and not. I suppose the fix is to still use the Maverick with the Auber or use my iGrill which does provide that graphing feature.  The graphing feature for me isn't really that big of a deal, but it would be interesting to see some of the data such as the stall length as well as total cook time. Not a necessity, but neither was a smoker.  It's a fun hobby which I am really enjoying as are my friends and family.     ;D

Charlie, I see Rick touched on this, but thought I'd throw in my 2-cents.  NO two "similar" cuts of meat EVER cook the same, every time.  The muscle density (couch-potato pig, or Arnold Piganator?), fat content and connective tissue all factor into cook time.  I've cooked 9 lb butts that have been done in barely 1 hour per pound, and others that have taken 2 hours per pound!  Always just plan your cook times on the high side; you can always hold it until it's time to eat. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

cwshiles

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 04:37:18 PM »
couch-potato pig, or Arnold Piganator?

I love it!   Thanks guys. Great info that I will be sure to consider from now on.

Charlie from MD

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 11:33:37 PM »
I am still on the path of making my Arudino wifi PID, it will have lots of probe inputs and allow as much data as you want
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

cwshiles

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 07:03:13 PM »
Ben, stop teasing me.  That is what I want to build, but just don't have the know how or time to learn. Document your steps.  I have been researching the Arduino and seeing what others have built, but I have not seen one that has everything available in the Auber and the cyberQ yet but that would be a winning combo.

Good Luck. Let me know how it's working out.
Charlie from MD

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 08:03:34 PM »
I am still on the path of making my Arudino wifi PID, it will have lots of probe inputs and allow as much data as you want

If it's a success, you'll be rich and famous!  We'll all get to say "We knew him when...!"  ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas