Author Topic: OK to use previously frozen meat?  (Read 8385 times)

viticulture

• Smoked meat and aged wine makes for a good evening
OK to use previously frozen meat?
« on: February 23, 2013, 06:22:11 PM »
As usual, I've put the cart before the horse. Went to Costco today (on an empty stomach - never do that) and walked out w/ a pile of meat - 4 pack of pork ribs, two 8 lb. pork shoulders, two 9 lb. briskets and a 16 lb. strip loin. I plan to test my dry aging technique for the strip loin and won't be smoking it. Since I don't even have my new #2 yet (early next week), my question is can I freeze the pork butt, ribs and brisket for use later? I sure hope so otherwise I'm going to have to call in sick so I can smoke all next week.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: OK to use previously frozen meat?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 09:39:29 PM »
I do that all the time.  Meat prices are high, so I buy when on sale.  Just thaw as you normally would and enjoy.

One thing I do is let them sit in the kitchen, in a cool spot, to shed some of the cold before smoking or grilling.  About 45 minutes to an hour for butts, 20 to 30 minutes for ribs, steak, etc.  Don't know if it helps any but I feel good about.  Enjoy the smoker when it arrives!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Grimm5577

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 11:59:38 AM »
I have too many hobbies but luckily some of them overlap. I had a chest freezer that I converted to a fermentation chamber for my home brewing. I recently converted it back into a freezer to store my addiction to smoking meat. I also buy in bulk when it's on sale.

viticulture

• Smoked meat and aged wine makes for a good evening
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 01:32:50 PM »
I have too many hobbies but luckily some of them overlap. I had a chest freezer that I converted to a fermentation chamber for my home brewing. I recently converted it back into a freezer to store my addiction to smoking meat. I also buy in bulk when it's on sale.

I did the same thing for my home winemaking back in the day. used to be able to fit 6 five gallon carboys in there for cold stabilization purposes. Glad to hear that the frozen meat thing works out well because I bought a boat load of it recently. Smokin my 1st brisket as we speak...

Rob Babcock

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 04:01:29 AM »
While fresh might be a little better I'd much rather stock up and freeze some vs. not having it!  I also pretty much only buy stuff on sale, so either I come up with a use for it right then or I freeze til I'm ready to use it.