Author Topic: First bacon on the #2  (Read 5296 times)

Jimeo

First bacon on the #2
« on: September 04, 2017, 03:07:10 PM »
Split a belly with a friend and ended up with a 4.5 lb half.  I used Kari's Prague powder #1 cure and did the seven day rub and flip.  Removed from the cure, rinsed and left in the fridge 24 hours uncover.

I used 4.25 oz of cherry, split into slivers, chips and small chunks.  Started off at 100 degrees, only turning up a few times to get smoke rolling, for three hours.  Finished at 200 degrees to an IT of 150 degrees, took a total of 4.25 hours. 

Removed from smoker and rested one hour before going into the fridge, loosely covered with wax paper, for 24 hours.

Hand sliced this afternoon, yielded close to 100 pieces.  Cooked up a couple of pieces to sample and were really good!  Can't wait for a nice BLT for dinner!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 03:46:55 PM by Jimeo »
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

Durangosmoker

Re: First bacon on the #2
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 03:13:20 PM »
Very nice! And with garden ripe tomatoes will be especially good. Congratulations!
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

Jimeo

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 05:31:57 PM »
Dinner...
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 08:19:11 AM »
What was you recipe did you just use Cure #1. I would think you wouldn't but a novice may read that and follow it literally.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Jimeo

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 10:18:26 AM »
It was a per pound of belly recipe...

1 T kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon Prague powder #1
1 T brown sugar
1 T maple syrup

I started with a 4.5 lb piece, so measured accordingly.
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 05:27:57 PM »
What was you recipe did you just use Cure #1. I would think you wouldn't but a novice may read that and follow it literally.

It is my recipe. It is not just Cure #1... as Jimeo posted above. I totally respect your professional bacon-making expertise :), but many people on this forum are backyard bacon makers, like me. My goal was to make the bacon-making process less intimidating, but safe. The recipe and proportions have been thoroughly researched and tested to work on a "per pound" basis for curing belly for bacon. Many people on this forum seem uncomfortable with the "saltbox" method, and using "whatever sticks". Plus, rather than mixing up a large amount of cure and discarding what doesn't stick, they want an exact measurement to put in a bag, based on the size belly they have, that will ensure good salt levels, along with an amount of cure that ensures safety. AmazingRibs, Ruhlman, and several others offer a per pound approach. It is more precise than the saltbox method, and gives those who are not cured meat experts such as yourself some peace of mind.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 05:50:12 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Aspenextreme

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 09:02:18 PM »
SconnieQ

can you point me towards your method for curing as I am used to equilibrium curing as I can get repeatable results since I weight it out. I am just curious. Thanns.

It is my recipe. It is not just Cure #1... as Jimeo posted above. I totally respect your professional bacon-making expertise :), but many people on this forum are backyard bacon makers, like me. My goal was to make the bacon-making process less intimidating, but safe. The recipe and proportions have been thoroughly researched and tested to work on a "per pound" basis for curing belly for bacon. Many people on this forum seem uncomfortable with the "saltbox" method, and using "whatever sticks". Plus, rather than mixing up a large amount of cure and discarding what doesn't stick, they want an exact measurement to put in a bag, based on the size belly they have, that will ensure good salt levels, along with an amount of cure that ensures safety. AmazingRibs, Ruhlman, and several others offer a per pound approach. It is more precise than the saltbox method, and gives those who are not cured meat experts such as yourself some peace of mind.

SconnieQ

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 12:23:50 AM »
SconnieQ
can you point me towards your method for curing as I am used to equilibrium curing as I can get repeatable results since I weight it out. I am just curious. Thanns.

Equilibrium brine is good too, and very predictable. I do a dry brine. Here is the post.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=5867.msg55170#msg55170
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Jimeo

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 12:34:31 PM »
I’ve been thinking of doing a second bacon and am looking for some advice.  My first, posted in this thread, turned out really well but a little salty.  Also noticed a little tingle on the tongue. 

Curious if I used too much cure and should switch to a more precise method, vs the per pound I used?  Would that help with the tingle and saltiness? Or cut down on the salt and do a soak instead of just a rinse after the seven day flip?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 01:21:39 PM »
I use this website to calculate the cure mix: http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/calculator/dry_cure_bacon/.
My basic recipe is:
Cure mix per calculator (use brown sugar, not white)
1-1.5 Tbs onion powder
1-1.5 Tbs garlic powder
1-1.5 Tbs Mace
2 Tbs coarse black pepper

I put a slab in a zip lock bag, sprinkle the cure on all sides as evenly as possible. Get all the air out of the bag. Put meat in fridge. Turn bags once a day for 7-8 days. After cure is done, rinse bacon under cold water. Slice a small piece off one side and fry up for taste test. If too salty, soak bacon in cold water for 30 min or so (change water out a couple of times). Remove excess water. Put in smoker and cold smoke with apple wood for 4 hours. Then hot smoke with apple wood again at 225 until internal temp is 140-145.  Remove from smoker and allow to cool before freezing in bag.
I don't do the fridge drying pellicle thing because I get good results from the cold smoke.
I slice my bacon when it is frozen and is just at the point it is partially thawed.
I cook the bacon at a very low temp so it doesn't get tough.
I invested in a scale to weigh cure accurately: http://a.co/3a7aUQW .
I usually do 4 slabs every couple of months, it seems like everybody is always asking for me to give them more.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 01:32:19 PM by Lonzinomaker »
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

Jimeo

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 01:36:33 PM »
Thanks Dave.  I liked the ease of the per pound recipe but realize the cure calculator is probably more precise.  Have to admit that I did forget the taste test which could have helped with the saltiness.  Live and learn...
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

SconnieQ

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 03:34:21 PM »
I like the calculators, but I always get stumped when I need to enter in the amount of salt and sugar percentages that I "like". I have no idea how to equate my tastes to "percentages". Are there guidelines as to what is considered low/average/high for these things?
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 04:13:36 PM »
SconnieQ,
I always make a new recipe as written, decide whether I like it or not. Then adjust the amount by a small percentage with exception of the #1 cure. Even with very safe food handling practices, contamination is possible so I go with the USDA upper limit of nitrates/nitrites. I'm more afraid of botulism than nitrite poisoning.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

Jimeo

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 04:27:05 PM »
I was stumped by the percentages “I like” as well.  I wonder if the tingling sensation was because I didn’t rinse well enough, or didn’t soak...?
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

SconnieQ

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 04:33:12 PM »
When I have made bacon, I have always done a plain water soak. It definitely helps remove some of the surface salt, and balances it out. You can soak from 30 minutes up to a few hours.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide