Author Topic: Probe Failure on Pork Loin??  (Read 1192 times)

Papa Rick

Probe Failure on Pork Loin??
« on: November 06, 2019, 03:27:10 PM »
Today I did my first Pork Loin smoke.  I had bought 2 Pork Loins weight was 9 lb and 9 1/2 lb.  Cut them in half, brined both of them overnight.

Put them on today, temp at 225, top two racks in my #2.  Did not take but 2 hours 15 minutes.  Using 2 Maverick E-733 and both of them read 140 to 150 on the 4 pieces of Pork Loin I was smoking, so I pulled them.

I cut one of them and it was really great until I got to the middle of it and only on one side on the bottom it seemed to not be completely done???
Was super juicy and had a great taste to it, but really puzzled about this.

I bought them from Sam's Club and both of them had a lot of fat on the bottom side, which I trimmed 3/4 of it off.  It was not cold outside today here in Alabama 71.  Trying to figure out what could have caused this and hoping the other 3 pieces are not like this.
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Probe Failure on Pork Loin??
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 09:26:25 PM »
Never smoked loins but from what you said about the one you cut appearing not completely done, do you know if it was the 140 deg or the 150 deg loin?  And then, was it from the uppermost shelf of the next one down, thinking maybe meat on the lower shelf absorbed more heat than those on the upper shelf.  Just fishing here, of course.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Papa Rick

Re: Probe Failure on Pork Loin??
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 08:45:00 AM »
David, it was on the top shelf and it was the probe that showed 150 degrees.  What amazed me was it was on the bottom the loin.  I figured it would have been the top or middle portion of it not being done but wasn't.
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker