Author Topic: Ribs Cooking Time - Do I count the hour getting smoker to temp?  (Read 828 times)

doubleT

Ribs Cooking Time - Do I count the hour getting smoker to temp?
« on: October 06, 2022, 05:39:21 PM »
Hi All. First time making St Louis ribs in my Model 3D and following the Lazy-Q guide recommendation of 235F for 5-7 hours. I have 6 racks in the unit, did not preheat, and the smoker took about an hour before it reached set temp of 235F.  My question is whether I start counting the 5 hours of cook time from when I first started the smoke (12pm), or when the smoker got up to set temp 235F (at 1pm). Thanks!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Ribs Cooking Time - Do I count the hour getting smoker to temp?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 06:03:31 PM »
When I do ribs, I start from the time I turn on the #2.   I only do BB ribs, and I anticipate 6 hours from start to finish.   It usually takes me 45 minutes to complete the first heating cycle, so the 1 hour to 235 sounds right.   Good luck with the smoke!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 07:25:53 PM »
X2
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

doubleT

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 11:06:11 AM »
Appreciate the feedback. I decided to do the toothpick test at the 5 hr mark, and was surprised to find the ribs fully done, even a tad overcooked for my liking...so will maybe check at the 4:30 mark next time. Still, the family and neighbors all enjoyed it so it was a good first run!

When I do ribs, I start from the time I turn on the #2.   I only do BB ribs, and I anticipate 6 hours from start to finish.   It usually takes me 45 minutes to complete the first heating cycle, so the 1 hour to 235 sounds right.   Good luck with the smoke!