Author Topic: Smoke leaking from top of door, left and right sides, not middle  (Read 1296 times)

barrytm

Smoke leaking from top of door, left and right sides, not middle
« on: September 04, 2022, 03:52:23 PM »
So I have had my Smokin 2 analog, for a few weeks now, did the burn in, and a few 5 to 6 hour smokes for ribs,  then a 14 hour pork butt today.  Should I be concerned that smoke is leaking out the top  of the door,  on both the left and right hand sides.  I have attached a photo, not sure if it is easy to see, but on the frame of the door in the middle, there is not much soot or carbon buildup , confirming that it is only leaking at the left and right hand sides.    So far, I am impressed with the build quality, but wanted more smoke flavor, and not sure if the gap at the top is an issue.   

BTW,  I could not find a table I liked, and the #2 is just too low to the ground, so took some spare stainless tubes, and welded up some extensions. 
#2 Analog.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoke leaking from top of door, left and right sides, not middle
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 04:52:50 PM »
Not an issue. Both my SI 3d and Cookshack leaked and after a bunch of smokes, the leaking in no longer noticable.  That brown, sticky patina will build up over time and seal off the gaps.  Smoke rises and heads for not just the top smoke hole but any minor gap between door and frame.  It is ok.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 08:14:01 PM »
You might try putting a 1 1/2 tube over the exhaust hole to act like a chimney. Might make the draft enough to keep the leakage down.
I use a brass sink drain on mine to help the exhaust, you can just see it on top in the attachment.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

barrytm

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 08:21:20 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  Barry
#2 Analog.