Author Topic: Hello from Sunny Seattle!  (Read 683 times)

Nicholas

Hello from Sunny Seattle!
« on: August 09, 2022, 07:50:06 PM »
Hello, it's Nicholas from Sunny Seattle! Excited to be here!  Ordered my #2D-WiFi with the Bella CSG on Friday and just got it today (Tues.).  Wow talk about fast service!  Some initial thoughts/issues...

:) PROS: Steve (that guy's awesome!), the box-in-box it shipped in (talk about protected!), the super heavy duty smoker build, the Bella (wow does that put out some smoke even on 50%), and folks on these forums who seem very supportive!

:( CONS: After 5 min or so, my 2D would trip the GFCI.  Tried several times with no luck.  Moved to another GFCI outlet on a different circuit and had the same behavior.  Smoker comes on at full power but the GFCI would trip after a couple minutes.  I spoke with Steve and he suggested I try a non-GFCI circuit which I did using 2 long heavy duty extension cords (Steve said that was OK for the test) and that works although the light in my garage workroom which share that circuit are flickering occasionally so that's not a great sign.  I'm doing the initial 4-hr burn in on that non-GFCI circuit.  Hoping something wet in the smoker might dry up during the burn-in and "fix" itself but seems like a real long shot.  [post burn-in update: tried the GFCI outlet again and now they trip immediately so definitely didn’t get better.]  I've read lots of posts about electrical things in the smoker to check but most of those are way above my level of understanding.  I'll have an electrician come out and look at the GFCI and look at running a dedicated circuit.

Anyways -- fingers crossed this gets sorted out cuz the family is getting excited for LOTS of smokes!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 08:17:05 PM by Nicholas »
Nicholas from Sunny Seattle
Smokin-It #2D w/WiFi & Bella CSG
Weber Genesis S-335

lcdearman

Re: Hello from Sunny Seattle!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 09:10:52 PM »
Welcome from central TX! Sorry to hear you are having GFCI issues. I got my #2 back in August of 2020 and I have run it on a GFCI that I installed off my garage circuit from the beginning. I never have had an issue. I have since added an external Auber, and I have had no issues with that either.

I hope you can get it resolved quickly...
Clay
Clay from Taylor, TX
SI #2 with Auber AW-ST1510H-W
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker

Nicholas

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 11:35:04 AM »
Good to hear no problems with yours, Clay…wanna trade?  ;)

My buddy has a 3D that doesn’t trip his GFCI so I’m going to take my 2D over to his place and see how my smoker likes his known good outlet. If it trips it, that will confirm there’s a problem with my 2D.
Weber Genesis S-335

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 12:56:37 PM »
Welcome from Delaware, Nicholas!   Sorry to hear you are having some electrical issues but stay after it and you will be up and running in no time.   Steve is great, so don't hesitate to follow up with him as well.  Keep us posted on what you discover.  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Nicholas

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 05:20:01 PM »
Steve had me pull the back cover and check the grounding was attached properly and clean it which I did...looked fine.

Took my 2D over to my buddy Greg's house where he uses his 3D on a GFCI.  Ran his 3D for a while on his GFCI without any issues, unplugged it and plugged my 2D into the same outlet and it immediately tripped, so there's definitely an issue with my 2D :(

I'll talk with Steve about getting a replacement unit sent out.  Not great confidence in the product so far but hey stuff happens and hoping to get this resolved soon and I can get some smokes going!

« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 05:22:16 PM by Nicholas »
Weber Genesis S-335

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 08:18:23 PM »
Bummer :(   There has to be a shorted wire *somewhere*.  I suppose it could also be a defective element.  If you were dealing with an older unit I'd suggest disconnecting the element to see if it still trips the GFCI, but since it's new you really shouldn't need to do all of that.  I'm sure Steve will take care of you.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Nicholas

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 11:53:01 PM »
Good to meet you all. Steve’s sending out a replacement unit…excellent customer service. 

Question re: my cover for my 2D and Norman cart/cabinet. The cover doesn’t cover the bottom plate of the Norman cart which is a good bit wider than the cabinet unit or smoker.  Circumference of the base of the Norman is about 88” and the circumference of the cover is only 84”.  Just sent Steve the info.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 02:28:37 PM by Nicholas »
Weber Genesis S-335

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2022, 12:01:40 AM »
Welcome Nicholas from AZ. Cannot help on the cover question.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Nicholas

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2022, 02:30:31 PM »
Hi Old Sarge. I’ve read so many of your posts here that I feel like we’re old friends LOL.
Weber Genesis S-335

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2022, 07:18:39 PM »
Good to know Steve has you covered.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066