Author Topic: 2 week old model#2 and temp issues  (Read 883 times)

arkhomer

2 week old model#2 and temp issues
« on: April 30, 2022, 09:25:45 AM »
Smoking 2 pork butts, thermostat set at 225, temp got to 315 and element never kicked off.  Turned it down to 175 before light turned off.  Temp dropped to 200, set back to 225 and the ambient temp was above 260 in no time.  . Picture show initial high temps, then evens out around 310, temp drop and climb after I set back at 225.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: 2 week old model#2 and temp issues
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 10:06:06 AM »
The beginning of your screenshot looks like combustion to me.    When my wood has caught fire in the #2, it usually happens on the first heating cycle in the 180-190* temp range.   Did you see some heavy puffs of smoke coming from the top hole at this time, and a loud exhaust sound (we call it the burp)?    It looks like this might have happened a couple of times given the way the temp goes up and down and back up again around 7:45-7:50 on your graph. 

When you set the temp to 225, the #2 will cycle above and below that setting throughout the heating cycles (+/- 25* or so).   I have noticed that the variance in the temp swings diminishes with time during the smoke.

I would continue monitoring the temp with your app and keep the smoker setting at your desired temp.   If it continues heating up without the element shutting off, then it is possible that the temp gauge in the smoker may not be registering the smoker temp correctly.     

Hope this helps.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

arkhomer

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 10:24:19 AM »
I have the smoker set to 200 and my thermometer is registering 278 degrees. The temperature is all over the place.  I've been trying to dial it in, but no success

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2022, 10:58:22 AM »
The smokers don't work well without a load.  Did you have something in the smoker on your dial-in from your last post. You could have a bad thermostat.  Make sure the probe on the inside isn't touching a rack or something else also.
Send Steve an email for help.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

arkhomer

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2022, 11:24:53 AM »
It was loaded. I peeked to take a photo. You see a problem with ambient probe? I can't think of a better way than to just let it dangle.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2022, 03:43:18 PM »
I am by no means an expert but I would suspect that you have two meat probes displayed in your photo.  Both need to be in the meat. The free hanging probe might be confusing the controller. You are using a 2D or is is an analog with a free standing controller?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 05:43:27 PM »
Arkhomer- I meant the smoker temperature probe that is on the back wall.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

arkhomer

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2022, 06:07:44 PM »
I am by no means an expert but I would suspect that you have two meat probes displayed in your photo.  Both need to be in the meat. The free hanging probe might be confusing the controller. You are using a 2D or is is an analog with a free standing controller?

The thermometer is a separate unit and has no affect on the analog smoker. It's an inkbird that can handle multiple probes. It's just recording a meat and ambient temp.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2022, 07:57:26 PM »
Alrighty then.  I did not know what model smoker you had.  Here is a mistake a FEW people have had.  They inadvertently put the meat contact with the box probe (a couple even reported skewering the meat on the probe) and that had the smoker continuing to heat and not cycling. Just a thought.
When you get the time, stop by the introductions section and say howdy to the family.  Maybe even post a signature.
Welcome to the forum.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 07:59:26 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2022, 09:16:02 PM »

The thermometer is a separate unit and has no affect on the analog smoker. It's an inkbird that can handle multiple probes. It's just recording a meat and ambient temp.

Does the smoker plug into the inkbird for control? When folks started to use the auber units (stand alone) the smoker was maxed out on the analog controller and the smoker plugged into the auber which then as able to maintain a stable temp. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus