Author Topic: confused new member  (Read 1236 times)

confused

confused new member
« on: April 01, 2022, 01:14:25 PM »
I must introduce myself by making a few confessions.

Firstly, I am a newbie when it comes to smoking foods. I have taken part in the processes but have simply been the laborer processing meat to be smoked. Sausage then was smoked in a walk in smoker.

I am the only one in my family that really cares for smoked foods, and I generally only cook for my wife and I.

I have a pellet smoker with side cold smoke cabinet and started smoking myself some cheese and salmon. I loved it. I then wanted to smoke some sausage links and summer sausage, but found that I could not get proper temps on my current pellet grill.

I discovered that a local store sold a nice looking all stainless smoker and I had a coupon so I decided to purchase it. Sorry to tell you this, but it is a competitors model that is pretty much identical to your number 2 analog smoker. I had not heard of either of your companies before my impulsive purchase. I have never been in the market for my own smoker until after I tried to make summer sausage on my pellet grill and fought the temperatures. Too hot in main part of grill and too cold in cold box. Opening and closing lid over and over was not going to cut it. Not enough ice to keep temps down. I figured the new smoker be the answer.

I quickly discovered that these analog smokers are likely ideal for ribs, butts, large pieces of meat, but not perfected for sausage, at least not when trying to use all 5 racks. Trouble is, I wish to make 15-20 pound batches of sausage at a time.

I realize that what I have and your number 2 would likely work just fine if the operator only know what he was doing. I have spent many hours already searching the web and many forums of meat processing and similar smokers. Your forum seems to have the largest amount of information. I appreciate that which I am learning here and thank all of you for the information you have shared. I will likely not be in the market for another new smoker soon, but have already seen some addon’s of yours I may choose to purchase. I just need to figure out what I already have first. Too many times I have thrown more money at a problem in which only a little patience and time would have worked better.

I like in the desert in Phoenix, AZ which does not help with keeping temperatures low.

tpcdelisle

Re: confused new member
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 01:59:04 PM »
Hey Confused. Since I don’t know what your smoker is, my first recommendation would be to get a Bella cold smoke box to put on you smoker. I have a Smoke Daddy that I was using on a done for Masterbuilt and could also attach to my pellet grill for added smoke on steaks and grilled meats. I will have a Smokin-it Bella in two days to go with my SI3D for smoking Sausage and seafood. The Bella is so much better for not adding much, if any additional heat for those products. My Smoke Daddy adds additional heat of at least 40-50 above the outside air temperature. It just doesn’t work for my cold smoked salmon or cheese unless it is winter time. Check out Eric from 2 Guys and a Cooler on YouTube reviewing the Bella and Smoke Daddy.  https://youtu.be/os7XsxWUiqI

If your smoker has an analog controller, you could consider getting an Auber Instruments PID controller and use with your smoker to give a much more controlled temperature. There is great info here in the forum for hooking up or rewiring an analog SI smoker in the Auber section of the forum that might help with your smoker, but maybe Auber or your smoker’s manufacturer could advise you. Hope this helps some.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 02:03:53 PM by tpcdelisle »
Tony too!
From Southeast Indiana / Greater Cincinnati

Smokin-It 3D WiFi
Smokin-It 3 Analog
Bella’s Cold Smoke Generator
Recteq B380 Bullseye
Meat Your Maker 1 hp #22 Grinder
Beswood 250R 10” Slicer
Former Air Force
Retired FAA Air Traffic Controller
Anova Sous Vide
Super foodie of world cuisines

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 04:06:21 PM »
Troy
Welcome to the forum. I would also recommend the Bella. There is a video you can watch the pit the Bella against the Smoke Daddy. It should be of help.

Yes, SI has a great forum dedicated to SI smokers. There is a competitor with similar looking analog smokers. If it is the one I am thinking of they have there forum as well and can help if you have technical problems. Just a thought.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 08:38:10 PM »
Do you have the Smokin Tex or the Cookshack?  Which model?
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 12:56:22 AM »
LarryD - Troy has a SmokinTex 1400 and is a member of their forum. 
Troy - Tons of info on sausage here:
https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?board=36.0
Also, besides laying coiled sausage on the racks, you MIGHT be able to use the sausage hanging racks SI has since as you say your smoker is pretty much identical to the SI2:
https://www.smokin-it.com/product-p/shb-2-3.htm
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 01:19:40 AM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

confused

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 02:00:57 AM »
I wasn't mentioning any names as to offend anyone or promote or ridicule any company or violate any rules as such. I hate to be the one that would take business away from someone by asking for help by posting on their forum.

Having said that, the guys over there have been very helpful and professional and try to help me out, but I am still having a rough time trying to figure out getting consistent batches. I have definitely not used my smoker enough to really say anything good or bad about it but I am quite sure my issues are operator error. I need to give it more time, but when only two of us eating a batch lasts quite some time and freezer space is limited.

I feel most users are smoking meals like ribs or butts to eat immediately rather than making sausage.  I realize it may take some time to figure out, but am thinking that I may be overlooking the obvious in my mistakes. It seems there are many more sausage related and digital controller related posts over here. Since I am new to this, I have not heard of either smoker manufacturer before, nor Auber controllers. Google searches pulled Cookshack and Smokin-it up when I searched for SmokinTex. I have literally spent hours on all three sites as well as other smoking food sites and youtube.  I tried several dry runs with several thermometer probes, etc. I think the temperature fluctuations and variations within cabinet could be figured out in time, but I am impatient and want to get it right sooner rather than later. Partly to verify purchase to my wife, and partly to beat the desert heat that most users do not deal with. I see many posts regarding cold weather smoking and very few mentioning hot weather unless they are smoking cheese. I wish I had a cool room to hang sausages in.
My link sausages varied several degrees and some were way overcooked. Possibly overfilled. Possibly some had more moisture. Possibly should have rotated and changes shelf positions more. Possibly did too often. Issues may have nothing to do with the smoker. There are so many variables taking place at the same time.

Thanks again for making your forum available. It looks to be of great help, which I definitely need.

confused

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2022, 02:25:57 AM »
I looked at my last response and see that I may not have addressed responses directly. I have smoked a batch of cheese using less than 3 ounces of wood chips and feel I got plenty of smoke, almost too much. I have a cold smoke cabinet on my Louisiana Grills pellet grill that I use with Amaz-n tubes with success, so will not add smoke generator yet until I am sure I need longer smokes.

I have been looking for stainless steel rods to hang sausage with no luck in lengths over 12" locally. I bought an aluminum rod today I may cut and try but need at least one more. HD 2 miles from home only had one 36" in stock, so only get 2 rods from it

Auber controller likely next to go in smoker. I have been reading on them and am confused on the autotune and settings for P, I, D, and such. I am already confused, so not sure if good idea or not.

I see Auber also sells squirrel cage fan which may be of help as well but yet another $100.

I see many happy owners on all of these similar style smoker sites that have done zero mods. Also many who swear by mods or add-ons.

I did successfully make some great jerky. I placed computer fan with duct adapter over vent hole after smoke was done.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2022, 02:51:02 AM »
"I wasn't mentioning any names as to offend anyone or promote or ridicule any company or violate any rules as such. I hate to be the one that would take business away from someone by asking for help by posting on their forum."
I understand and for now, don't worry about it. The link below has a comparison chart, a tad old, but has been used by many folks in deciding what smoker to get. Too late to help you but still an interesting read.
Regarding the Auber, there are a lot of folks here who have used it successfully for a few years with no problems.  You can use the search feature for auber, auto tune, bypass, and see a lot of info for modifying the smoker. 
https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4678.0
Here is another link regarding modifying the smoker (you will void your warranty!):
https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1287.0
Good luck with your smoker and sausage making adventure.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

confused

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2022, 03:12:31 AM »
I am having trouble finding much info on the newer Auber Model: AW-WST1510H-W. I would use it as opposed to older model with red lcd. would suggested settings for P.I.D.  be same regardless of model? I like idea of if spending the money may as well do it right and buy once, cry once instead of wishing had gone wifi. Setup without would not be fun with my poor eyesight trying to read small lcds outside

confused

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2022, 03:57:59 AM »
thanks for the links old sarge. I am still not sure which values I should enter for P.I.D.  I am guessing   P:30, I:800, and D:150 T:2s off of one of the links you sent.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2022, 11:27:17 AM »
That is about all I can do to help since your smoker is not SI and you would have eventually found the information yourself by searching. I have to stay loyal to this community. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Norwester

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2022, 02:01:07 PM »
Troy, I tried to send you a PM but got an error message. Make sure that you're accepting PMs/emails from members here. If theres any way you can PM or contact "poacherjoe" on the SmokinTex forum he has a 1460 and can give you some input and advice. I think he gave up on it and added an Auber for smoking sausage and is very happy with it now. Tell him Norwester55 from SMF sent you, I'm sure he'd be happy to help. I've got a simple wiring diagram for re-wiring the SmokinIt for a PID that I sent him, and I think that the 2 smokers are similar enough that he used it. I'll get it to you if he doesn't still have it.
Jeff from central Oregon

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2022, 06:47:00 PM »
Jeff
I reported this problem yesterday and SI admin is working on it.  I have the same problem with safari and firefox.  Seems to come and go. 

Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives