Author Topic: Low mojo  (Read 938 times)

matooz

Low mojo
« on: February 28, 2022, 01:41:54 PM »
Hello fellow smokers, smoked for first time this weekend. Ribs were great. I also used a digital thermometer to monitor cabinet temps. I notice that the highest temperature I could achieve was 240°f over a 5-6 hour period set at max on rheostat. I do need to mention that the outside of cabinet was a sustained 40°f. Reading the forum info and Lazy Q lead me to believe I may need to adjust rheostat? I found that on forum as well but it didn't seam to be the same switch as on forum.  I also did not see any cold spots on element at break-in. Can u please advise?

lcdearman

Re: Low mojo
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 03:28:45 PM »
Welcome from central TX. There are others with more info on the low temperature , but before I converted my #2 to an Auber, my setpoint of 225 would yield +/- 30* swings, so I would see upwards of 255*.
Clay from Taylor, TX
SI #2 with Auber AW-ST1510H-W
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 06:53:18 PM »
Welcome from SE Arizona.  So from your post you have done your research (looking for cold spots).  Here are two links that if you have not checked them out, please do so.   Did you get the smoker new or used?  Also make sure nothing is interfering with the built in box probe.  Early on, when the probe was located to the upper part of the cabinet, at least one person skewered the meat on it when placing the meat on a high rack.
https://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/heattroubleshooting.pdf
https://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/Heatcontrol.pdf
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Emma Jake

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 12:50:40 AM »
The temperature of your smoker depends on its condition. If you have a new smoker it may help you achieve higher temperatures but there's no need to buy one if your old smoker is still providing you with good food.