Author Topic: Potential hack to fit oversized brisket into Smokin it 2.  (Read 864 times)

cantonn11

Potential hack to fit oversized brisket into Smokin it 2.
« on: February 03, 2022, 05:59:10 PM »
I had found a Youtube video showing a hack to fit an oversized brisket in a Masterbuilt electric smoker by setting one rack as an incline against a sidewall and lying on a lower rack.  Had anyone tried using this hack before to fit a large packer brisket in the Smokin It 2?

Link to video: https://youtu.be/BR6lJbu33bk

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Potential hack to fit oversized brisket into Smokin it 2.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 06:19:13 PM »
Maybe you will be the first. But if you are super worried, get a 3. Costs more but the extra room is worth it.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 05:55:22 PM »
Most of the stories I remember (and my own from when I had a #2) are:

* cut it in half and put it on two shelves - Flat on top shelf with fat cap up.  Point on lower shelf with fat cap down.
* lay it on the rack diagonally so it just barely touches corners as it'll soon shrink and be fine
* fold the flat under the rest of the brisket to reduce its length

All of these methods have been reported as practical and successful.  I wouldn't personally do anything that would leave part of the brisket dangling. I'd be worried that it would just tear off and fall.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

cantonn11

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 12:12:01 AM »
Most of the stories I remember (and my own from when I had a #2) are:

* cut it in half and put it on two shelves - Flat on top shelf with fat cap up.  Point on lower shelf with fat cap down.
* lay it on the rack diagonally so it just barely touches corners as it'll soon shrink and be fine
* fold the flat under the rest of the brisket to reduce its length

All of these methods have been reported as practical and successful.  I wouldn't personally do anything that would leave part of the brisket dangling. I'd be worried that it would just tear off and fall.

Would the downside of the folding part of the flat under the rest of the brisket is reduction of smoke penetration to the flat resulting in reduced smoke flavor?

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 01:02:20 AM »
Would the downside of the folding part of the flat under the rest of the brisket is reduction of smoke penetration to the flat resulting in reduced smoke flavor?

That's the only one I haven't personally tried.  I wouldn't expect it to make much difference.  The flat is usually pretty thin and so folding it under itself just makes it more like the point which gets plenty of smoke penetration.  The point doesn't even have a split/fold for smoke to get into.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...