Author Topic: Smokin It #2 or #2D?  (Read 3822 times)

cantonn11

Smokin It #2 or #2D?
« on: January 29, 2022, 09:34:07 PM »
I am considering buying Smokin It #2 or 2D sometime in the future.  However, I am stuck making a difficult decision to choose the analog and digital versions of the Smokin It #2.  I am aware that the digital version has more precise temperature control compared to the analog version which has wide temperature swings. 

This review from Amazon on the Smokin It #2 made me a bit skeptical in buying the analog version:
"   Dezertson
2.0 out of 5 stars Good at first and then some serious issues...
Reviewed in the United States on August 25, 2012
I've used this smoker about 5 times for ribs and chicken with mixed results. Initially everything seemed fine, but my suspicions were raised when I was following recipes and everything was finishing much earlier and drier than planned.

I utilized a remote thermometer for the smoker and the meat inside to cook a brisket because of the disappointing chicken result. My suspicions were confirmed when I observed the temp, which was set at 225F started spiking around 255F(the max setting is 250F) and hovering there for 5-7 minutes before it would starting slowly coming down to 225F at which point it would click back on and ramp up to high temps again. The internal temp of the meat also raised much too fast in the slow cook process causing the meat to be done much too early and not as slow smoked as it should be. I confirmed the temp with an instant read thermometer as well.

Maybe this is how ovens always act and I just didn't know it, but the temp swings seems way too much and are cooking the meat much too fast.

Also, initially the door would seal so well that no smoke would come out. Smoke now leaks out the top of the door as well. This smoker sits outside with a cover purchased from the manufacturer under a covered patio and never gets direct sunlight or rain of any kind.

I purchased an electric smoker for the express purpose of not having to constantly worry about the temperature like other non electric smokers. I guess I my hope were too high. I was fooled by all the 5 star reviews.

I can probably work around the temperature issues at some point, but as of this morning I have a brisket that looks like it is going to be done 5 hours EARLY despite my attempts to keep adjusting the temp downward. This does not make me happy. This piece of meat was $65 and I have family coming over for dinner."

I also have multiple questions about the analog and digital versions of the Smokin It #2.
1. What is the service life of the digital control units on the Smokin It #2D?
2. Does more precise temperature control result in better quality cooked food?
3. Is it not uncommon for digital control units in the Smokin It #2D to fail within a few years?

Lonzinomaker

Re: Smokin It #2 or #2D?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 10:53:44 PM »
I have a #1 and a #3.  I bought the #3 thinking that if I decided digital control was needed, it wouldn't be that hard to use a stand alone Auber controller and bypass the analog controller.  3 years later, I'm still analog only and don't anticipate any urgency in getting a digital controller.
I read all those reviews as well and haven't had the same negative reactions.  I would buy a Smokin-it again if mine somehow gets destroyed.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 11:01:29 PM »
First off, welcome to the forum from SE Arizona.
1. What is the service life of the digital control units on the Smokin It #2D?
The smokers have a 3 years warranty including the analog controller.  You get a 3 year warranty on the digital versions as well but the controller is warranted only for 1 year.

2. Does more precise temperature control result in better quality cooked food?
Simple answer is no.  There are lots of other variables:  quality and fat content of meat, wood choices, ambient air temperature, etc. There are many owners of the analog version who have had nothing but success; and there are those who have the PID who have experienced some frustration.  Not much of an answer I know but there are pros and cons for each version of controller. Either way you can expect good food.

3. Is it not uncommon for digital control units in the Smokin It #2D to fail within a few years?
I have had mine for several years and no problems and no calls for repair. I am not much for programming so I keep it simple:  I set the smoker temp and time OR the smoker temp and desired internal meat temp. You can read about the controller and its many functions in the instructions (for the customer) on the home site.

Lastly, the review you sent is 10 years old. The reviewer stated that the controller set for 225 would rise to 255 then settle back to 225.  He does not indicate that he attempted to adjust the controller (instructions on the SI home page - for the customer) nor did he state that he contacted SI for warranty issues.
He said he had a brisket going to finish early!  I have had meat that finished earlier than expected and  some took longer than expected.  Just one of the variables I mentioned.   You will see many posts describing this same "too early or too late issue".  I read about this on other forums as well including Cookshack, SmokinTex, and Smoking Meat Forums.

I would suggest reading the many posts for the model you are considering.  Also, utilize the search feature for a particular problem that concerns you and see what others have experienced.

David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

lcdearman

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 11:38:12 PM »
Welcome from central TX!

I bought a #2 analog and later added an Auber. I had no issues with the cooks done as an analog smoker. I added the Auber because I wanted the ability to setup my smoker on the phone app and have it run through multiple steps without intervention. I also like the remote access the Auber/phone app gives me.  While nothing lasts forever, I don't see any issues with the design of the Auber.

I did a switch-based bypass of the analog controller when I added the Auber so I can go back to analog control at any time.
Clay from Taylor, TX
SI #2 with Auber AW-ST1510H-W
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 11:57:19 PM »
Welcome!

Another point of view - I have a #3D - have had it for 5 years and love it! Works amazingly well and gives me a little more flexibility on temp, meaning I can go up in temp, which is nice to have for poultry. Would I go to an analog if I had to choose again, no I wouldn’t. I like the functionality of the digital/non-WiFi unit.

My dad, after seeing my 3D, went and bought himself a #2 analog. I’ve used it a few times when I’ve had a to make food for 80-100 people. It worked great as well. And easy peazy by just turning the dial. But, I still like having the option of getting a hotter cook temp with the Digital.

You can’t go wrong with either - just depends on what you are looking for. The posts above give great info as well. So, whichever one you get, enjoy and post up when you get your first cook going!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 12:01:44 PM »
I started with the #2 (analog) and later got a great deal on a barely used 3DW (digital wi-fi).

The analogs have a stated temperature swing of ~20 degrees and I'm pretty sure mine was higher than that.  The reality is that it never once mattered.  The person who wrote the review was making something out of nothing.  If their brisket came out 'dry', it was much more probable that they took it out long before it was done.  Anyone who smokes brisket based strictly on time is doing it wrong.

As barelfly mentioned, the digitals can be set to a higher temperature which is nice for poultry where there is no need to go 'low and slow'.  Sadly, the software for the digital and digital wifi is really poorly designed and the wifi is outdated and finicky.  I hear things suggesting that's being looked into.

I miss the simplicity of the analog and if I were starting with nothing today, I'd get the #3 (analog).  With the analog you just set it and walk away.  There's no mis-programming it or having a probe get a faulty reading and stopping the smoker prematurely.

While not strictly required, the extra depth of the 3 series is really nice as you don't have to cut ribs or briskets to fit them and it gives you that extra capacity if you like to make mass quantities and seal/freeze portions as I do.

------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

PulledPorkSandwich

• Smokin-it Model 2
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 02:15:55 PM »
I have a model 2 analog and enjoy it very much.  Others have already mentioned the key points for me, but, to reiterate: 

Temperature swings have not been a problem.  I use a Maverick thermometer to monitor box temperature and set the model 2 so that the average temperature is my desired target.  If you have it set so that the max temp is 255 and the min is 225, then the average is 240.  If you're aiming for a box temperature of 225, that's too high.

You can adjust the temperature control knob on the model 2 so that it more closely indicates the average box temperature.

The model 2 analog will only heat up to 250 (approximately).  That makes it difficult to smoke poultry and get a crisp skin.  For poultry, I turn to my Weber, some wood chunks, and aim for 375-400 box temperature.

I have had some trouble with dry ribs and briskets, but I've determined that those problems, for me, were caused by setting a box temperature too low, resulting in long cook times to get to the desired IT and resulting dry meat.  As an example, I don't cook brisket at 225 any more; I shoot for 250.
Ed in North Texas

OldeSmoker

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 09:33:17 AM »
I have never had that issue with my 3DW. Hope you get it figured out.
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022, 05:31:24 PM »
If I was just starting out and budget was a condition, I would go for maximum affordable size rather than state of the art electronics. Plenty of posts regarding upgrading with a stand alone Auber when one recovers from the purchase of the smoker and determines there is a need for a PID. In other words, an analog 3 over a 2D.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 11:45:20 PM »
I just bought an almost new model 2 Wi-Fi and it's a learning curve.  I had the same issues with my Model 1 that I bought new.  You have to learn your smoker.  I've been doing some test burns with no meat just to learn things.  To my surprise, the 2 Wi-Fi is a much different smoker.  The wood makes a big difference too.  Different woods don't burn the same on model 2.  I don't find that on the model 1.  Maybe that's the analog control.  Chip screens, etc. don't work the same either.  That said, the first test cook was a half chicken with some maple that came with the smoker that turned out great.  250 degrees start to finish with a nice crisp skin.  Like I said before, you have to learn your smoker.

Limey

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2022, 01:21:59 PM »
+1 on Old Sarge's comments. You can always add an Auber later if you feel you need it (you probably will not unless you do a lot of cold smoking) but you cannot expand a 2 into a 3.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Glock_21

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2022, 01:28:55 PM »
Model 3 analog here.  Had it for quite a while.  The digital versions weren't even available back when I bought it.  I had intentions of adding an Auber but never did.  I just never saw the need.  If I did add the Auber it would be for the additional temperature range rather than precise control and WiFi.  The food won't taste any different with temperature swings vs precise control.  I do really like the space in the Model 3.  Not once have I ever wished I would have went smaller.
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

cantonn11

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2022, 02:49:22 PM »
Should digital smokers be stored indoors since moisture and humidity would cause the electronics to eventually fail even if the smoker is covered?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2022, 07:28:22 PM »
Mine is stored outdoors, on a patio with a roof.  It is covered with a cover from SI.  It gets wet from wind driven rain but after these years, no harm. You can smoke in bad weather.  Some folks have fashioned a cover for the controller like tupperware for smoking in the rain.  And Steve had  a little house hat manufactured that keeps rain out of the smoke hole. Here is a manual if you have not read it yet.  I suggest looking for the specific manual for the model you are considering in the 'for the customer' section of the main site.
https://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/DigitalManualold.pdf
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

barelfly

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2022, 10:02:07 PM »
Mine is also stored outside on the covered patio and has been for 5 years and is doing great. I have two covers over mine, and SI cover and one from Coversandall.com.

I have a friend who has left his covered but is open to elements and it’s had no issues.

So, which one are you getting?
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear