Author Topic: Something bad burning in the wood box  (Read 677 times)

mtjarrett

Something bad burning in the wood box
« on: December 29, 2022, 05:19:22 PM »
Got my Model 2 analog for Christmas and have been using it daily trying to learn. Would love any help some of you more seasoned folks may be able to give. Note, I am using the +/- 2oz hickory blocks I got from Steve with the smoker.

As you can see in the photo, it looks like there is some coating to my wood box that is burning away. What is this? Should I be concerned about it? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks y'all.
Michael - South Texas Borderlands
Analog Model 2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Something bad burning in the wood box
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 10:28:09 PM »
Hard to tell from the photo but it looks like normal cooking/smoking residue.  Just scrape it off and enjoy.  If you post another photo or two, try to show the entire wood box. If this is smoke residue your entire cabinet will eventually have this but in a lighter coat with no flaking; mine is sort of coffee colored and smells great. Also it looks like you place the wood chink on foil.  Is there a reason or just something your read about on the forum.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 06:29:51 AM »
Yes, I think this is normal.  I have the same thing on my wood box, which I believe is the result of the wood catching on fire during the first smoking cycle.   If you notice a lot of heavy smoke and then a big "belch" during the first heating cycle, this is caused by the wood (dry wood) catching on fire for a short period of time.   The soot on the top of the wood box, I believe, is the result of this.    After the first heating cycle, I don't get "belches" - the wood just smokes along and ends up as a charred chunk when I finish and clean up.

You should be able to scrape off the soot from the top of the wood box, but I don't bother.   Another option to try is moving the wood to a different place in the wood box and see how the inside top of the box looks when you finish.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

mtjarrett

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 10:02:20 AM »
Thank you to both of you guys.

I put the wood box through the dish washer and it cleaned up pretty good, so I'll move the wood as you suggested swthorpe and see what happens.

old sarge, I was having trouble with way too much smoke that was thick and brown. I saw the foil boat idea on the forum. I think that has solved the problem. Will know more today.
Analog Model 2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 11:22:50 AM »
Let us know how you make out.    Others on the forum have noted that they have "hot spots" in the wood box and have tried moving the wood to other spots in the box.    I usually put the wood all the way in the back of the wood box toward the rear of the smoker.

I am curious to hear how the foil on the bottom of the wood works for you.   I have been thinking about trying this out as some of my wood has become dry and causes the "belch" on the first cycle of heating.   I don't think it hurts anything, but it scares me every time I get the huge blow out ("belch")!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

mtjarrett

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 11:35:38 AM »
Hi Steve,

The foil boat did not help. Still tons of dark, brownish smoke. I will try moving the wood backwards like you have tried.
Analog Model 2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 11:57:45 AM »
Thanks for the update.   Are you seeing the "belch" as well?  This usually happens in the first heating cycle and is preceded by dark thick smoke and puffs of smoke where the smoke stops, then starts, then stops a few times.  Following this, I get the "belch"--a massive exhaust of steam/smoke and then the smoke looks fine.    If you are seeing all of this, then your wood is likely dry.   Dry wood tends to combust, while wood chunks with higher moisture content can push through the initial heating cycle without the "belch". 

I should note, however, that I always get a thicker smoke in the first heating cycle, regardless of whether I experience the "belch".   This usually happens around 180* on the first cycle, and then the smoke tapers back down when I get past 200-210*.    After the first heating cycle, I don't really get heavy smoke - it tends to taper off to a nice steady light smoke.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2022, 02:47:35 PM »
Check this thread out.  This is what I do for stopping the wood combusting.
 https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=8436.msg73456#msg73456
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

mtjarrett

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2022, 05:42:51 PM »
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the link. I always like DIY-ingenuity.

Could you explain the general concepts of your design? I was of the understanding that teh aluminum foil wrap around the wood was to diminish oxygen - though just today I learned that diminished oxygen can cause an acrid smoke - so maybe not. Is your concept trying to disperse the heat away from the wood more - ie keep same heat in the box but less burning from the wood?

Steve, I don't think I'm getting a belch but then the smoker is outside and I'm 75% deaf.

On a possibly related note - does anyone know what the plugged hole on the side of the smoker is for?
Analog Model 2

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2022, 07:15:33 PM »
The boats do the same thing as using foil, only they last longer.  It just blocks some of the heat so the wood doesn't combust.
If that plugged hole is about 3/4in, I think it is an access port for the Bella Smoker that SI sells.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2022, 08:23:23 PM »
For what it is worth, I place my wood in the center of the box so that it site between the element rod  U shape (makes sense?) and not directly over the top of a rod element.  Also watch the orientation of the wood cell structure. If you are getting ugly smoke and the cell structure is upright, lay on side; or vice versa. I don't think it is going to matter but worth a try. Also make sure the grease drain hole is free and clear of foil and such.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

mtjarrett

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2022, 08:28:36 PM »
Ahh got it. Thanks. Gonna try another smoke tomorrow. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for all the helps.
Analog Model 2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2022, 12:22:08 AM »
I would fool around with an empty smoker rather than risk the meat. Experiment with wood and its placment till you achieve what you want.  Then meat it up!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

lcdearman

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2022, 09:08:18 AM »
Before I added the external Auber to my #2 I put foil under the chip screen and always had charcoal...
Clay from Taylor, TX
SI #2 with Auber AW-ST1510H-W
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker