Author Topic: Dry Chuck Roasts  (Read 1180 times)

NKoehler

Dry Chuck Roasts
« on: November 29, 2021, 12:04:30 AM »
I tried smoking a two 2.5lbs. chuck roasts and they turned out tender but also a bit dry. I rubbed them the night before with salt, pepper and garlic powder. The smoker was set at 225F and they stalled at 150F internal. I put them in a covered foil fan with 2 cups of beef broth and a few sliced onions then bumped the smoker temp up to 250F. Once they hit 200F internal I removed the pan and let them rest a bit. My plan was to shred them but I ended up slicing them.

This was my first attempt at smoking beef. I've had great success with ribs, poultry, and pork. What did I do wrong?
Nick from PA
2D
Weber Kettle

barelfly

Re: Dry Chuck Roasts
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 10:30:34 AM »
Chuck roast is a bit different with how you can approach it. For slicing, I’ll actually cook to a lower temp and serve as roast beef, so looking at medium rare-medium. But, I’ll usually sous vide the roast first for a 24-48 hours at 140* or so, ice bath and then finish on the charcoal. Turns out very tender, great beefy flavor and has the fire flavor as well.

If I want to pull the beef, I’ll cook it a bit lower in temp as well. If I remember, I usually pull it when it hits an internal temp of 185-190 or so. You can kind of treat these like brisket, cook until probe tender. When tender, pull and wrap to rest a bit then pull it and add some beef broth or whatever you may like.

So, I’d do everything you did in your approach, just pull it sooner and see how that ends up.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 11:00:44 AM »
+1 on what Jeremy said.   For pulling you want the higher finish IT temp, but for slicing I would remove at a lower finish temp.   

I recently made crock pot chili using two chuck roasts.  I smoked them to about 190*, then the next day cubed and placed in the crock pot with chili stuff.   The meat shredded on its own in the crock pot and was very tasty - not dry at all.   So, you might even want to try 190* for a finish temp for pulled chuck roast.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NKoehler

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 11:59:18 PM »
Thank you for the replies.

I am not surprised the chucks turned out they way they did after reading what you are saying. The instructions I was following told me to hit at least 200F internal. I essentially just over-cooked them or just too hot and fast?

So, next time, do I keep the smoker temp at 225F and push through the stall? Should I just shoot for med rare and slice?

I have an Instant Pot and most roasts are falling apart after 60-90 mins. These were disappointing. I don't have a sous vide setup but it sounds amazing and the chili idea is great too.
Nick from PA
2D
Weber Kettle

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 09:30:06 PM »
I normally smoke at a higher temp than 225 these days. I haven’t noticed a difference in anything other than the amount of time needed to get to where I want the meat in probe tenderness. I usually smoke at 250*, some on here go with 275*. So I don’t think you went hot and fast, just overcooked.

Try each method out, start with 225* and push through the stall but start checking at 185/190 to determine if it’s where you want it and can pull. Then try at 250 if you want to see if there’s a difference.

But, cook to probe tenderness - not by time or temp. Temp is just an ideal target but I really do think with our smokers we can get a good result with a lower internal temp than what you may see from people cooking with stick burners. But that’s just my thought, no proof. I just say that because I seem to not have to cook brisket, pork butts and such to the higher temps to get probe tender meat.

I’m smoking a brisket this weekend and will go with 250* throughout the cook, then wrap and hold for about 2 hours before serving. I use to do the 225 and this higher temp cuts some time down.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 09:33:37 PM by barelfly »
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

NKoehler

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 11:55:21 PM »
Thank you. I am new to all of this and appreciate all of the help I can get.

Best of luck with your brisket.
Nick from PA
2D
Weber Kettle

Sirsmokesalot

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2022, 06:15:59 PM »
I’ve had lots of luck with chucks. I have a smokin-it 1 so just the little guy I don’t really do briskets cuz I have trouble fitting. Anyways, check out my profile posts I posted burnt ends and my take on pit beef sandwiches (pulled beef) all with chucks. If you have any questions I’d be happy to help a fellow smoker out. All posts have detailed recipe instructions. 😃
Jeff from Philadelphia, s1 owner and BBQ lover

NKoehler

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 12:31:36 PM »
Thank you! I will definitely check out your profile next time I smoke a chuck. Today I'm doing a pork loin for the first time.
Nick from PA
2D
Weber Kettle