Author Topic: Hickory/cherry Pork Loin  (Read 4054 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Hickory/cherry Pork Loin
« on: July 17, 2013, 10:21:04 PM »
I cooked a 8 1/2 lb pork loin Sunday for sammies, and man, was it good! 

It started with a loin from Sam's in Fayetteville, AR.  Their meat dept is great!  Prepared it with yellow mustard and a spicy pork rub the night before. (You can find the rub and sauce recipe here:  http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=715.0)  Same rub/sauce combo that works great on Boston butt for pulled pork!

Let the two halves sit in the fridge overnight, snug in their FoodSaver bag (yes, vacuum-sealed).  The vacuum environment makes the meat really absorb the rub!

Sunday, I threw the 2 halves in the #1 with about 4 oz of hickory and cherry, and cooked to IT 155 (about 2 hours).  I had them ready earlier than planned, so I used Smokeasaurus's method of foiling and placing back in a 140 for a "hold."  Worked great!  Kept the loin in there for about 3 hours, with absolutely no degradation of moistness.

When it was time to eat, I unwrapped the loins, brushed on a light sauce coating, and threw them on the Weber 1000 for a quick sear.  I love to reverse-sear pork loin; it doesn't cook long enough to get a good bark, so I reverse-sear to caramelize the rub and sauce...makes for a mighty tasty exterior!

Sliced for sammies with my new Victorinox Granton blade knife, it not only looked good, but tasted great (if I do say so myself) ;D

Here's the shots!  I also included a triple-batch of my St Louis style sauce.  Mmmm-mmmm!

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
Re: Hickory/cherry Pork Loin
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 11:07:19 AM »
I just picked up a couple of pork loins today at Costco.... just trying to figure out what to do with them... sammies sound good... what's that sauce you got there?

Edit:  Oh wait... St Louis style sauce... got it....  looks good!
Why reinvent the wheel?  Get yer smoke on....
Smokin' with the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker for about a year.... Model 3 for a minute... Monitoring with the iGrill with the Android App... :D

puddle jumper

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 12:34:19 PM »
Looks good Tony,,
I need to do another one,,, The girls loved the first one I did...
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 02:55:51 PM »
Thanks, John.  Loins for sandwiches are a big hit at my house - and quick and easy!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

netherman

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 12:45:00 AM »
Following this recipe for my maiden voyage tomorrow.  Just curious if you brushed any of the sauce on before or during the smoke or only before the reverse sear.  So excited for my first smoke.
Chris in Denver, CO
proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 08:10:33 AM »
Hi Netherman - congrats on your first smoke!  I don't put sauce on anything while it's in the smoker.  Loins are the only thing I smoke that put sauce on before a reverse sear.  My clan prefers to add their own sauce, so I smoke pretty much everything with rub only.

Let us know how it turns out!
Tony from NW Arkansas

netherman

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 02:20:33 PM »
Thanks, sure will...Just fired fired her up.
Chris in Denver, CO
proud owner of #2