Author Topic: Costco prime brisket  (Read 1535 times)

rcolt

Costco prime brisket
« on: September 11, 2020, 06:03:00 PM »
Just finished trimming my Costco Prime beef brisket. This is my fourth Costco Prime brisket. It was chosen by an Instacart person. It weighed 14.64 lbs. it had rolls of fat along both long sides and the hard fat on the interior point went all the way through. So I have a hollow point. I took out 4.6 lbs.of fat total. The other three briskets were nothing like this. I don’t know how this will cook. I am afraid that the point will be dry. $3.94 per pound. Is this common at all?

barelfly

Re: Costco prime brisket
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 11:49:16 PM »
I’ve had pretty good luck with the Costco Prime brisket packers. I don’t think I trim mine as much though, although I’ve never weighed the trimming. Just check on it as the temp climbs. You can always crutch wrap it to try and keep some moisture in if needed.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

PulledPorkSandwich

• Smokin-it Model 2
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 12:14:00 PM »
I get my prime briskets from Sam's.  I cooked one for Easter this year and before I did, I separated the point from the flat and trimmed almost all the fat off from both.  I cooked both at 225-250 for about 24 hours, until the IT reached 203, and the result was very dry meat, both point and flat.

For labor day, I bought another prime packer from Sam's.  I probably trimmed 1-2 pounds of fat off, but I left around 1/4 in. fat on the fat side, did not separate the point from the flat, and only trimmed a small amount where the flat meets the point.  I did score the fat down to the meat every half inch or so.  I cooked fat side up for about 20 hours at 225, IT 203 in point, and the results were excellent; the flat was just a bit dry but quite edible.

I won't be aggressive in trimming fat in the future.
Ed in North Texas

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 10:04:38 PM »
I have never had a Costco Prime brisket that was as you described.  Of course I do my own shopping and picking.  As for the flat, inject it with some broth.  If you have a larding needle, you can lard it with the trimmed fat.  That should help with moistness.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus