Author Topic: Spicy Pork Rub  (Read 8786 times)

Grimm5577

Spicy Pork Rub
« on: February 26, 2013, 11:20:13 AM »
This is my Spicy Pork Rub.

1 Cup Brown Sugar

1/4 Cup Sea Salt

1/4 Cup Smoked Paprika

2 Tbls Granulated Gralic

2 Tbls White Sugar

1 Tbls Cayenne Pepper

1 Tbls Black Pepper

1/2 Tbls Cumin

psoltesz

• Model #1 Owner
Re: Spicy Pork Rub
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 12:28:10 PM »
Wow, I totally didn't know that you could get smoked paprika in the larger containers!  I love that stuff, and use it in a lot of my cooking, but have only seen it in the smaller cylindrical containers.  Where do you get it in that size?

By the way, the rub looks great!  Unfortunately, my wife and four of my five children lean more towards the milder spices, but I love me some spicy.   ;D

One additional question: do you find sea salt works better than kosher salt?  What are the advantages?

Thanks!

- Phil
I'm your huckleberry...

Grimm5577

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 12:36:22 PM »
I found the spices in the large containers at BJ's. I've never done a side by side comparison of the salts, but that would be interesting to do, maybe even add in Himalayan pink rock salt. Off the top of my head I think the sea salt has more flavor from the additional minerals it contains but i think thats kind of subjective. 

Like your family my wife isn't as keen on the real spicy rubs either, she likes the sweeter side. So I often have to lower the cayenne amount.

Thanks for the looking.

gloksrule

• Bacon defines me,,Ronnie from OKC,OK
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 07:02:19 PM »
So how many slabs will this amount do?

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 07:12:54 PM »
You're looking at a little less than two cups total spice rub based on this recipe ... you can probably do four slabs of St. Louis ribs with this amount (maybe one more with babybacks).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 07:14:54 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 10:00:55 PM »
It'll also do a good-size Boston butt, plus a rack of St Louis ribs.  Great rub, but I had to do a little modification.  I cut out the white sugar, use kosher salt instead of sea salt, added a tsp of choriander, and backed-off the cayenne and black pepper to 1 tsp each.  Suits my taste a little better, but you can use "as is," or mod to your taste.

Haven't heard much out of Grimm5577 these days.  Too bad - this is a good rub!  Grimm had a lot to say! :(
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!